OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

Graph layout using osgCompute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> osgCompute [osgCompute]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sorel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Hi everybody,

I've got here some issue I would like to discuss with you first because I am kind of newbie in osg and also osgCompute. I would like to accelerate computation of graph layout with osgCompute, but I am not sure if possible or if it's osgCompute suitable for this task. My graph nodes are represented as geodes in scene graph and I need to recalculate their positions according to their neighbouring nodes. This part I have already implemented but I would like to tranfers this position computation on GPU.

I looked at this particle demo example which is in some way similar to my problem but the major difference is that in this particle demo there is just one geode with particles as vertices in geometry but in my case there one geode for every graph node. Do you think it can work?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Vladimir
sorel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Hi everybody,

I've got here some issue I would like to discuss with you first because I am kind of newbie in osg and also osgCompute. I would like to accelerate computation of graph layout with osgCompute, but I am not sure if possible or if it's osgCompute suitable for this task. My graph nodes are represented as geodes in scene graph and I need to recalculate their positions according to their neighbouring nodes. This part I have already implemented but I would like to tranfers this position computation on GPU.

I looked at this particle demo example which is in some way similar to my problem but the major difference is that in this particle demo there is just one geode with particles as vertices in geometry but in my case there one geode for every graph node. Do you think it can work?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Vladimir

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=46014#46014

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
sorel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject:

I am not sure, if I made myself clear so I will try to be more specific.

Is it possible to somehow send to kernel array of geometries, so every thread can work on one of them?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Vladimir
jens.svt
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Hi Sorel,

If I understand you right, you want to access an undefined number of linear arrays (OpenGL vertex buffers) during a single CUDA-kernel.
Each thread should work exclusively on one of these arrays.

I never tried this myself. Unfortunatelly I think the answer is no.
Here is what I found:
The only way you could call a kernel with a varying number of pointers,
would be to hand over an array of pointers:
Code:

void myKernel( float4** myArrays, uint numArrays )
{
}

However, then you will run into the problem that you cannot setup this array of pointers on the host side as reported here:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=87337

Hopefully, I this answer will help you.

Best regards,
Jens
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> osgCompute [osgCompute] All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: