OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

Forum member only that can still post to the ML

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rosme
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject:
Forum member only that can still post to the ML

I would like to be able to only be a member of the forums and still post new messages that go the mailing list. This morning I decided to unsubscribe from the ML, but after starting a new topic I received the following mail:

Quote:
You are not allowed to post to this mailing list, and your message has been automatically rejected. If you think that your messages are being rejected in error, contact the mailing list owner at .
art (Art Tevs)
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Hi Roland,

Currently it is not possible technically. The main reason for that is, that this forum is just forward all posts to the mailing list with your email adress. Hence if you are not registered on the mailing list with the email adress as on the forum, your messages would not be forwarded to the ML.

I think there is nothing what one can do to solve that. I could rewrite the script in the way, such that your posts are forwarded to the ML by giving forum's email as recipient and your realname as author. However this would hide your mail adress and people wouldn't be able to answer you directly, if they wish. Second reason not to do this is, that spammers could register on the forum and write anything to the ML without being subscribed there.

Can you see the dilemma Sad
rosme
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject:

I don't have a problem with people not being able to mail me directly from the ML. They could always use the forum and send me a PM.

Spammer prevention should be of the same strength both on the forum and on the ML. What you are writing suggests to me that spammers can more easily spam through the forum than through the ML.
art (Art Tevs)
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Roland Smeenk wrote:
I don't have a problem with people not being able to mail me directly from the ML. They could always use the forum and send me a PM.

I see. After the 20.01 I will get more time and could add this possibility into the forum. So that users could select if they would like to have their email adress or some general mail adress of this forum as a recipient adress.

Roland Smeenk wrote:

Spammer prevention should be of the same strength both on the forum and on the ML. What you are writing suggests to me that spammers can more easily spam through the forum than through the ML.

No actually not as easy as through the ML. However spammers seems to love forums instead of mailing lists. Therefor I expect to have more spammers trying to spam the forum than a mailing list.

If I would now forward any post with forum's email adress to the mailing list (assuming it is a spammer), the community could get angry, because of spam from the forum.

I think we should start a discussion about such possibility in the community. If most of them agree to have users posting from the forum with forum's email adress as recipient, I could reqwrite forum to support this.
rosme
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject:

It would be great if this could be added.

I believe there are many OSG users that are not subscribed to osg-users due to high traffic amounts, but that would be happy to be a forum member for an occasional visit of the forums.
art (Art Tevs)
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Yes, I agree this feature would be a nice thing. Thanks for the idea!

I will try to find some time to rewrite the forum to support this. Currently I do not have a lot of free time until around 21.01.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> Offline All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: