OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

Compiling GDAL with HDF4-support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> General [3rdparty]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David_1980

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject:
Compiling GDAL with HDF4-support

I need GDAL with both Shapefile and HDF4-Support, if possible in 64 bit.
Since the normal GDAL-versions from (gisinternalscom) have Shapefile, but no HDF4 and the version from FWTools
has HDF4, but no Shapefiles, Im afraid I have to compile a GDAL-version by myself.
The problem is that Im 'just' a geographer with programming skills, but no real IT-expert, and Ive never compiled open source by myself,
so maybe my question is quite simple for you. Smile

First Ive downloaded the source code from (tracosgeoorg).
The I opened makegdal90.vcproj with Visual Studio 2010. It needed to do some updates, then it opened.
If I compile it without changes, I get a GDAL-folder with a new GDAL19.dll.
If I try to use this whole folder in my C#-project that works with normal GDAL-versions, I get a error.
But if I only copy the new GDAL19.dll over the old one in the existing GDAL(32 bit)-folder it works.
Is this how it should be or is something going wrong here already ?

The second step is to switch to 64bit, in nmake.opt I changed the following entry:
# Uncomment the following if you are building for 64-bit windows
# (x64). You'll need to have PATH, INCLUDE and LIB set up for 64-bit
# compiles.
WIN64=YES
Then I changed the setting of the VS-project to X64 and compiled again.
It still works as before: I get a new GDAL19.dll that works fine in my old GDAL(64 bit)-folder.

But then I cant do the third step, including HDF4. I found and changed the following section in nmake.opt:
# Uncomment the following and update to enable NCSA HDF Release 4 support.
HDF4_PLUGIN = NO
HDF4_DIR = C:\HDF
HDF4_LIB = /LIBPATH:$(HDF4_DIR)\lib Ws2_32.lib
I tried it maybe 100 times, but it never worked. Sometimes I get a corrupt GDAL19.dll, sometimes I get >100 errors when compiling
and sometimes I get a working GDAL19.dll without HDF4-support. I've read almost every Google-hit in English and German I found,
but it never worked. One problem is that the files mentioned there do not exist in the HDF-versions Ive downloaded. I guess, this
tips were for much older versions of GDAL and HDF4.

So can anybody give a step by step tutorial "How to compile GDAL with HDF4 for dummies" ? Wink
I need to know which HDF4-files I need, where to get them, and what exactly I have to write in nmake.opt.
Or is there a ready to use GDAL-download with HDF4 and Shapefiles somewhere ?
(32 bit would be OK to, that isnt that important)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> General [3rdparty] All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: