OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

Find statistics (min, max, mean, stddev) using NPP or alternative of RTT/FBO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> osgCompute [osgCompute]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
creature (Ethan Fahy)
Appreciator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject:
Find statistics (min, max, mean, stddev) using NPP or alternative of RTT/FBO

I have a setup very similar to osgRTTDemo. In order for my CUDA kernel to do any work, I must first gather some basic statistics about the floating point values in the FBO. I need, min, max, mean, stddev, and eventually a histogram. These are all parallel reduction problems and the standard CUDA examples has a whitepaper on optimized parallel reduction algorithms. However, I would prefer to use the built-in NPP functions that are able to gather those statistics for me.

Since the values in the FBO are changing every frame I need to recalculate the statistics on a per-frame basis. In osgRTTDemo, the launch() function within TexFilter is where the CUDA kernel is called on a per-frame calculation. Is this where I should try to also implement an NPP statistics call?

I found this thread:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12480821/how-to-use-cuda-nppnvidia-performance-primitives-on-opengl-textures

that says that NPP needs a cuda device pointer in order to get those statistics; am I able to retrieve the cuda device pointer from a osgCuda::Texture2d object?

I think I may have jumped in too deep with this CUDA stuff and may just need to go back and teach myself CUDA from the beginning, but any advice is appreciated as I slog my way through this problem. Thanks.
jens.svt
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Hi creature,

yes, the launch function is exactly where you should call those npp-functions.

You get the device pointer by calling myBuffer->map(osgCompute::MAP_DEVICE).

If you want to get access to the internal texture memory, call myBuffer->map(osgCompute::MAP_DEVICE_ARRAY) and cast the "void*" pointer to a "cudaArray*" pointer.

Regards,
Jens
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> osgCompute [osgCompute] All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: