OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

Sharing Vertex Arrays between Geometry Nodes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aitor Arrieta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Hi all,

I am developing an application in which I have to share the same vertex array between different nodes in order to apply a different texture to each of them. I know that this is possible to do because I have read it. However, I am a beginner in the osg world and I am not able to find the way to do it.

Someone told me that I could use the same geode having different geometries but how can I specify a vertex array for a geode? As far as I know this is impossible, is not it?
I have also read something about using the DrawElementsUShort primitive but how should I use it?

My question is: is there any example of sharing vertex arrays between geometry nodes anywhere? Or has anybody done this before? In short, could anybody please help me with this task?

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,

Aitor

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Paul Martz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject:

osg::Geometry* geom0 = new osg::Geometry;
osg::Geometry* geom1 = new osg::Geometry;
osg::Vec3Array* verts = osg::Vec3Array;
geom0->setVertexArray( verts );
geom1->setVertexArray( verts );

Hope that helps.
-Paul

Quote:
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:39 AM
To:
Subject: Sharing Vertex Arrays between Geometry Nodes

Hi all,

I am developing an application in which I have to share the same vertex array between different nodes in order to apply a different texture to each of them. I know that this is possible to do because I have read it. However, I am a beginner in the osg world and I am not able to find the way to do it.

Someone told me that I could use the same geode having different geometries but how can I specify a vertex array for a geode? As far as I know this is impossible, is not it?
I have also read something about using the DrawElementsUShort primitive but how should I use it?

My question is: is there any example of sharing vertex arrays between geometry nodes anywhere? Or has anybody done this before? In short, could anybody please help me with this task?

Regards,

Aitor

------------------
Aitor Arrieta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Hi Paul

Thanks a lot for your reply, but unfortunately I think that my question is not as simple as you think. Sorry because it was my fault as I did not explain myself correctly.

The problem is that I must have a single vertex arrays for many different geometries but each geometry uses only a part of this vertex array.. That is, imagine a single vertex array with indices from 1 to 100. I should have geometry 1 with indices from 1 to 10, geometry 2 with indices from 11 to 20, etc. But all of them sharing the same vertex array, which is used to do some other things.

Sorry for my bad explanation and thanks again for your reply.

Best regards,

Aitor

----- Mensaje original ----
De: Paul Martz <>
Para: OpenSceneGraph Users <>
Enviado: martes, 14 de octubre, 2008 16:54:00
Asunto: Re: Sharing Vertex Arrays between Geometry Nodes

Hope that helps.
-Paul

Quote:
To:

Hi all,

Regards,

Aitor

------------------
Paul Martz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject:

The code I posted will work for the use case you describe. Indices are part of the PrimitiveSet; assign a different PrimitiveSet (with different indices) to each Geometry and they will index into the same vertex array.
-Paul

Quote:
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:05 AM
To: OpenSceneGraph Users
Subject: Re: Sharing Vertex Arrays between Geometry Nodes

Hi Paul

Thanks a lot for your reply, but unfortunately I think that my question is not as simple as you think. Sorry because it was my fault as I did not explain myself correctly.

The problem is that I must have a single vertex arrays for many different geometries but each geometry uses only a part of this vertex array.. That is, imagine a single vertex array with indices from 1 to 100. I should have geometry 1 with indices from 1 to 10, geometry 2 with indices from 11 to 20, etc. But all of them sharing the same vertex array, which is used to do some other things.

Best regards,

Aitor

Hope that helps.
-Paul

Quote:
To:

Hi all,

Regards,

Aitor

------------------
Aitor Arrieta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Hi Paul

Thanks again for your prompt reply and sorry for my stupid message. As I have said before, I am completely a beginner in this osg world...

I will try to apply your code and see what happens.

Regards,

Aitor

Enviado: martes, 14 de octubre, 2008 17:38:17

The code I posted will work for the use case you describe. Indices are part of the PrimitiveSet; assign a different PrimitiveSet (with different indices) to each Geometry and they will index into the same vertex array.
-Paul

Quote:

Hi Paul

Best regards,

Aitor

Hope that helps.
-Paul

Quote:
To:

Hi all,

Regards,

Aitor

------------------
Aitor Arrieta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Hi Paul

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not but I'm already going crazy...

I can't use your code because I don't create new geometries. Instead of this, I get an osg::geode from an obj file. At this moment, I can only get a single geometry from the geode and apply a single texture to it. But this is not what I want.

The obj file represents a human figure, and I would like to separate the head from the body because they have different textures. I know which vertices are from the head and which ones for the body so this won't be a problem in this case. The problem is that they must share the same vertex array, which is used to do some morph tasks. My question is, how can I create two different geometries starting from the same geode and sharing the same vertex array? Is this possible or not?

Thanks a lot Paul and sorry for the inconveniences

Regards,

Aitor

-Paul

Quote:

Hi Paul

Best regards,

Aitor

Hope that helps.
-Paul

Quote:
To:

Hi all,

Regards,

Aitor

------------------
Aitor Arrieta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Hi Paul

I don't know but maybe... Would it be easier to combine both textures (head and body) and create a new obj file using this new texture? You should take into account that I have never done something like that (I don't know even which program should I use)

Regards,

Aitor

-Paul

Quote:

Hi Paul

Best regards,

Aitor

Hope that helps.
-Paul

Quote:
To:

Hi all,

Regards,

Aitor

------------------
Jean-S√?¬©bastien Guay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Hi Aitor,

Quote:
I can't use your code because I don't create new geometries. Instead of
this, I get an osg::geode from an obj file. At this moment, I can only
get a single geometry from the geode and apply a single texture to it.
But this is not what I want.

The obj file represents a human figure, and I would like to separate the
head from the body because they have different textures. I know which
vertices are from the head and which ones for the body so this won't be
a problem in this case. The problem is that they must share the same
vertex array, which is used to do some morph tasks. My question is, how
can I create two different geometries starting from the same geode and
sharing the same vertex array? Is this possible or not?

Your life would be simpler if you could get a correct model as soon as
you load it, instead of trying to massage it (and how you massage it
might change from one model to the next).

However, yes, what you ask is possible. You can traverse your model to
the Geode which contains the Geometry, then create new Geometry objects,
attach them to the Geode, and remove the original one. The new Geometry
objects can reference the original one's vertex arrays, and then when
you remove the original one from the Geode the vertex arrays won't be
deleted because other Geometry objects reference them.

Then on your new Geometry object(s), you can do what you want. So you
could add primitive sets for the correct vertices to be used, you could
add texture coordinate arrays (or reuse those from the original Geometry
object), etc.

As I said, it's a lot of trouble. If you can get a valid model right
away, your life will be easier. It's not the kind of thing that's best
done in code... Modeling tools are specialized in manipulating these
kinds of things...

J-S
--

------------------
Paul Martz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject:

I can't say which method would be easier for you. Are you more comfortable with modeling or with coding OSG? If you want to combine textures into a texture atlas, you'll need to use modeling software to make sure the texture coordinate are correct. If you want to make multiple Geometry objects sharing the same vertex array, you'll need to write code to post-process the model.

As J-S says, it'd probably be easier to get your models in the right configuration from the start. However, it sounds like you have no control over how the modelers created your models.
-Paul

Quote:
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 8:33 AM

Hi Paul

I don't know but maybe... Would it be easier to combine both textures (head and body) and create a new obj file using this new texture? You should take into account that I have never done something like that (I don't know even which program should I use)

Regards,

Aitor

-Paul

Quote:

Hi Paul

Best regards,

Aitor

Hope that helps.
-Paul

Quote:
To:

Hi all,

Regards,

Aitor

------------------
Aitor Arrieta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Hi J-S and Paul

Thanks a lot for your reply. I would like to be able to have a correct model from the beginning but unfortunately I must use a given obj file...

So I don't have any option but trying to solve my problem by code. I have been doing some tests today and at this moment I'm able to separate the two geometries applying different textures for each of them and sharing the same vertex array but with different primitive sets. I'm still having some problems with the vertices near the neck but I think that I know how to solve them. Let's wait until tomorrow...

I'm also having some strange problems with the light or something like that because I only see the textures from the back of the human figure. If I see the figure from the front everything is black... It's strange because when I had only a single geometry everything was ok and I have not set anything about lights after that... Maybe it could be a problem with the normals but if I remove the normal array from the geometries the problem is still there. Do you know what could be happenning?

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

Aitor

De: Jean-S√?¬©bastien Guay <>
Enviado: mi√?¬©rcoles, 15 de octubre, 2008 16:29:59

Hi Aitor,

Quote:

object), etc.

kinds of things...

J-S
--
)
http://www.cm-labs..com/
http://whitestar02.webhop.org/
Get registred or enter the forums!
)
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org

------------------
Robert Osfield

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Hi Aitor,

Can't you use the a modelling tool yourself and fix the model?

Robert.

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Aitor Arrieta <> wrote:
Quote:
Hi J-S and Paul

Thanks a lot for your reply. I would like to be able to have a correct model
from the beginning but unfortunately I must use a given obj file...

So I don't have any option but trying to solve my problem by code. I have
been doing some tests today and at this moment I'm able to separate the two
geometries applying different textures for each of them and sharing the same
vertex array but with different primitive sets. I'm still having some
problems with the vertices near the neck but I think that I know how to
solve them. Let's wait until tomorrow...

I'm also having some strange problems with the light or something like that
because I only see the textures from the back of the human figure. If I see
the figure from the front everything is black... It's strange because when I
had only a single geometry everything was ok and I have not set anything
about lights after that... Maybe it could be a problem with the normals but
if I remove the normal array from the geometries the problem is still there.
Do you know what could be happenning?

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

Aitor

De: Jean-Sébastien Guay <>
Enviado: miércoles, 15 de octubre, 2008 16:29:59

Hi Aitor,

Quote:

object), etc.

kinds of things...

J-S
--

------------------
Jean-S√?¬©bastien Guay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Hi Aitor,

Quote:
I'm also having some strange problems with the light or something like
that because I only see the textures from the back of the human figure.
If I see the figure from the front everything is black... It's strange
because when I had only a single geometry everything was ok and I have
not set anything about lights after that... Maybe it could be a problem
with the normals but if I remove the normal array from the geometries
the problem is still there. Do you know what could be happenning?

Did you copy the other arrays from the original Geometry object to the
new one(s)? The normal array and color arrays need to be copied, and
normalBinding and colorBinding need to be set to BIND_PER_VERTEX.

Actually, I think just cloning the original Geometry object, removing
any PrimitiveSets it had, and then adding new ones would work best,
least chance to make a mistake copying things yourself.

J-S
--

------------------
Skylark (Jean-Sébastien Guay)
Professional

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Hi Robert,

Quote:
Can't you use the a modelling tool yourself and fix the model?

We've been over this with him (Paul and I mostly). We've explained why
fixing the model directly in a modeling tool would be preferable, what
the tradeoffs are, etc.

If at this point he's decided to proceed this way, I think we have to
have confidence that he's willing to accept the consequences, and help
him to get it to work.

Just my opinion of course.

J-S
--

------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: