OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

Build Problem with osgGA at MacOS with Xcode 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> Build system [build]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jan.klimke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Hi,

i just upgraded my xcode installation to 5.0 and tried to recompile a newer version of osg.

This did'nt work out well since i am getting a linking error when building osgdb_serializers_osgga.so

it seems that several symbols an not be found. Does anyone has a clue how to get it to compile again ?

here is the error message:

[ 48%] Built target osgdb_serializers_osgmanipulator
[ 51%] Built target osgdb_serializers_osgparticle
[ 53%] Built target osgdb_serializers_osgsim
[ 54%] Built target osgdb_serializers_osgshadow
Linking CXX shared module ../../../../lib/osgPlugins-3.3.1/osgdb_serializers_osgga.so
Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
"osgGA::GUIEventHandler::~GUIEventHandler()", referenced from:
construction vtable for osgGA::GUIEventHandler-in-osgGA::KeySwitchMatrixManipulator in KeySwitchMatrixManipulator.cpp.o
construction vtable for osgGA::GUIEventHandler-in-osgGA::KeySwitchMatrixManipulator in KeySwitchMatrixManipulator.cpp.o
"non-virtual thunk to osgGA::GUIEventHandler::~GUIEventHandler()", referenced from:
"non-virtual thunk to osgGA::GUIEventHandler::~GUIEventHandler()", referenced from:
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
make[2]: *** [lib/osgPlugins-3.3.1/osgdb_serializers_osgga.so] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/osgWrappers/serializers/osgGA/CMakeFiles/osgdb_serializers_osgga.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Thank you!

Cheers,
Jan
robertosfield
OSG Project Lead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject:

Hi Jan,

I don't have an OSX box to test against, but at a guess the line "ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64" looks to be the most suspicious one.  Any chance that the build settings have changed or that somehow the serializer plugins are compiling against libs that were created with different settings.

Robert.

On 15 October 2013 15:10, Jan Klimke < (
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

i just upgraded my xcode installation to 5.0 and tried to recompile a newer version of osg.

This did'nt work out well since i am getting a linking error when building osgdb_serializers_osgga.so

it seems that several symbols an not be found. Does anyone has a clue how to get it to compile again ?

here is the error message:

[ 48%] Built target osgdb_serializers_osgmanipulator
[ 51%] Built target osgdb_serializers_osgparticle
[ 53%] Built target osgdb_serializers_osgsim
[ 54%] Built target osgdb_serializers_osgshadow
Linking CXX shared module ../../../../lib/osgPlugins-3.3.1/osgdb_serializers_osgga.so
make[1]: *** [src/osgWrappers/serializers/osgGA/CMakeFiles/osgdb_serializers_osgga.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Thank you!

Cheers,
Jan

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=56790#56790

)
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
jan.klimke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject:

Hi Robert,

thanks for you reply.

I am pretty sure that the settings did not change. But what i noticed is that the build is running better when libc++ and the c++11 standard is used when compiling.

Currently if there is a clang compiler, the standard used is still c++98. This is currently hard coded and not configurable from cmake. Since dependent projects use the c++11 standard and libc++ as standard library implementation, there are linking issues if osg is not build with libc++ due to incompatibilities of std::string in libstdc++ and libc++

I had to adapt some plugins (added some casts to remove compiling errors) in oder to make osg compile. Do you think it is useful to switch the c++ versions in CMAKE at least for newer CLANG versions.

The current Xcode provides the clang 5 as default compiler.

Do you think these changes could be integrated into osg and the defaults can be changed to libc++ and c++11 for clang compiling ?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Jan
Stephan Maximilian Huber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject:

Hi Jan,

Curious, I had linking errors when compiling osg with c++11 for IOS, so I added the c++98-flags to cmake. The best we can do is to make it configurable via cmake.

cheers,

Stephan

Am 18.10.2013 um 10:25 schrieb "Jan Klimke" <>:

Quote:
Hi Robert,

thanks for you reply.

I am pretty sure that the settings did not change. But what i noticed is that the build is running better when libc++ and the c++11 standard is used when compiling.

Currently if there is a clang compiler, the standard used is still c++98. This is currently hard coded and not configurable from cmake. Since dependent projects use the c++11 standard and libc++ as standard library implementation, there are linking issues if osg is not build with libc++ due to incompatibilities of std::string in libstdc++ and libc++

I had to adapt some plugins (added some casts to remove compiling errors) in oder to make osg compile. Do you think it is useful to switch the c++ versions in CMAKE at least for newer CLANG versions.

Do you think these changes could be integrated into osg and the defaults can be changed to libc++ and c++11 for clang compiling ?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Jan

------------------
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=56849#56849

------------------
robertosfield
OSG Project Lead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject:

Hi Jan,

I don't have experience with the latest dev tools under OSX so have to defer to members of the community that do.  Stephan's follow up email suggests that the current mix of what works and doesn't work under iOS and OSX isn't quite a straight forward as it really should be, alas this seems to be how it is under Apple's world of ever moving targets - because of this it's the most costly platforms to support and needs the community using Apple to pitch in to keep up.  If Stephan, yourself and/or others come up with a Cmake tweaks to try address these various problems then I'll review these.  What is clear that we'll need testing as follow up.

Cheers,
Robert.

On 18 October 2013 09:25, Jan Klimke < (
)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi Robert,

thanks for you reply.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Jan

------------------

)

------------------
Stephan Maximilian Huber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject:

Hi Jan,

attached you'll find a possible solution for the issue. This will add a new option to cmake called OSG_CXX_LANGUAGE_STANDARD which defaults to C++11. If you set it to C++98 it will setup the project accordingly.

Can you test the modifications on your end?

cheers,

Stephan

Am 18.10.2013 um 10:57 schrieb Robert Osfield < (
)>:
Quote:
Hi Jan,

I don't have experience with the latest dev tools under OSX so have to defer to members of the community that do. Stephan's follow up email suggests that the current mix of what works and doesn't work under iOS and OSX isn't quite a straight forward as it really should be, alas this seems to be how it is under Apple's world of ever moving targets - because of this it's the most costly platforms to support and needs the community using Apple to pitch in to keep up. If Stephan, yourself and/or others come up with a Cmake tweaks to try address these various problems then I'll review these. What is clear that we'll need testing as follow up.

Cheers,
Robert.

On 18 October 2013 09:25, Jan Klimke < (
)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi Robert,

thanks for you reply.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Jan

------------------

)

------------------
jan.klimke

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Hi,

i tried the cmake file you attached. It is does what it is expected (building with libc++ and c++11 as language dialect).

But i think i mixed two things in here. First the linking error of OSG itself, which was not solved by linking against libc++. This was a problem of linking against OSG after it has been built. This was fixed when linking osg against libc++ which is now configurable using the flag mentioned by Stefan. So for me it makes sense to include the changes to osg.

Nevertheless, the issue with linking osgGA serializer plugin and the missing symbols is still there. I managed to build osg, but i am currently not able to reproduce this. I noticed that the build works once after cmake-ing osg via commandline (cmake .. -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/Users/jklimke/Qt/5.1.0/clang_64 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release). But when trying to build a second time it refuses to link the osgga serializer. Is there anything special with this library ?

Here's again the error i am getting with a more verbose output. All necessary libaries should be included in the link
Code:

cd /Users/jklimke/projects/metro-renderingserver-deployment/libs/osg/build/src/osgWrappers/serializers/osgGA && "/Applications/CMake 2.8-12.app/Contents/bin/cmake" -E cmake_link_script CMakeFiles/osgdb_serializers_osgga.dir/link.txt --verbose=1
/usr/bin/c++      -Wno-conversion -mmacosx-version-min=10.8 -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -std=c++11 -stdlib=libc++  -Wno-conversion -O3 -DNDEBUG -arch x86_64 -bundle -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names   -o ../../../../lib/osgPlugins-3.3.1/osgdb_serializers_osgga.so CMakeFiles/osgdb_serializers_osgga.dir/AnimationPathManipulator.cpp.o CMakeFiles/osgdb_serializers_osgga.dir/DriveManipulator.cpp.o CMakeFiles/osgdb_serializers_osgga.dir/FlightManipulator.cpp.o CMakeFiles/osgdb_serializers_osgga.dir/GUIEventAdapter.cpp.o CMakeFiles/osgdb_serializers_osgga.dir/KeySwitchMatrixManipulator.cpp.o CMakeFiles/osgdb_serializers_osgga.dir/MultiTouchTrackballManipulator.cpp.o CMakeFiles/osgdb_serializers_osgga.dir/StateSetManipulator.cpp.o CMakeFiles/osgdb_serializers_osgga.dir/TerrainManipulator.cpp.o CMakeFiles/osgdb_serializers_osgga.dir/TouchData.cpp.o CMakeFiles/osgdb_serializers_osgga.dir/TrackballManipulator.cpp.o CMakeFiles/osgdb_serializers_osgga.dir/UFOManipulator.cpp.o ../../../../lib/libOpenThreads.3.3.0.dylib ../../../../lib/libosg.3.3.1.dylib ../../../../lib/libosgDB.3.3.1.dylib ../../../../lib/libosgUtil.3.3.1.dylib ../../../../lib/libosgGA.3.3.1.dylib ../../../../lib/libosgDB.3.3.1.dylib -framework Carbon /usr/lib/libz.dylib ../../../../lib/libosgUtil.3.3.1.dylib ../../../../lib/libosg.3.3.1.dylib ../../../../lib/libOpenThreads.3.3.0.dylib /usr/lib/libm.dylib /usr/lib/libdl.dylib -framework OpenGL
make[1]: *** [src/osgWrappers/serializers/osgGA/CMakeFiles/osgd

Thank you!

Cheers,
Jan
Jean-Claude Monnin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Hi,

I had exactly the same issue than Jan Klimke when trying to compile the latest osg with Xcode 5, 64-bit dylib build (not frameworks) with libc++ as standard library.
Could anyone successfully build a recent osg with Xcode 5?

The problem is that the linker can't find the destructor of GUIEventHandler when building the serializers:

I found following workarounds, but none of them is good:
1) Remove the file "src/osgWrappers/serializers/osgGA/KeySwitchMatrixManipulator.cpp"
2) Define an empty virtual destructor in GUIEventHandler (eg. "virtual ~GUIEventHandler() {}).

Looks like a linker issue. KeySwitchMatrixManipulator is used at other places sucessfully, it's just in the serializers that the issue shows up.

Any hints welcome.

Thanks
Jean-Claude

------------------
Stephan Maximilian Huber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Hi,

try a more recent version from trunk or the 3.2-branch, a fix for this issue was added last week. It seems that clang/llvm does some too optimistic optimizations. I could fix the bug by adding a explicit destructor (this got committed to trunk) or by reducing the optimization-setting for the serializer (this got committed to the 3.2-branch as it does not break ABI-compatibility)

Note that the github-mirror is currently not in sync with the subversion repository so try svn instead.

cheers,

Stephan

Am 25.11.2013 um 17:47 schrieb Jean-Claude Monnin <>:

Quote:
Hi,

I had exactly the same issue than Jan Klimke when trying to compile the latest osg with Xcode 5, 64-bit dylib build (not frameworks) with libc++ as standard library.

The problem is that the linker can't find the destructor of GUIEventHandler when building the serializers:

1) Remove the file "src/osgWrappers/serializers/osgGA/KeySwitchMatrixManipulator.cpp"
2) Define an empty virtual destructor in GUIEventHandler (eg. "virtual ~GUIEventHandler() {}).

Looks like a linker issue. KeySwitchMatrixManipulator is used at other places sucessfully, it's just in the serializers that the issue shows up.

Any hints welcome.

Thanks
Jean-Claude

------------------
Jean-Claude Monnin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Hi,

Thanks Stephan for your reply.
I was using the latest commit from the master branch of the github mirror. I just did a checkout with svn and saw your commit. I can confirm that the latest trunk builds successfully.
If it's a compiler/linker bug, I agree that defining an explicit destructor is a good workaround after all.

Btw, I noticed that the mercurial mirror on bitbucket is completely outdated, it stops in August 2012. (link on: http://www.openscenegraph.org/index.php/download-section/code-repositories). I think it can be confusing to have outdated mirrors around, especially when they look like official repositories.

Cheers,
Jean-Claude

On 25 Nov 2013, at 17:58 , Stephan Maximilian Huber <> wrote:

Quote:
Hi,

try a more recent version from trunk or the 3.2-branch, a fix for this issue was added last week. It seems that clang/llvm does some too optimistic optimizations. I could fix the bug by adding a explicit destructor (this got committed to trunk) or by reducing the optimization-setting for the serializer (this got committed to the 3.2-branch as it does not break ABI-compatibility)

Note that the github-mirror is currently not in sync with the subversion repository so try svn instead.

cheers,

Stephan

Am 25.11.2013 um 17:47 schrieb Jean-Claude Monnin <>:

Quote:
Hi,

Any hints welcome.

Thanks
Jean-Claude

------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> Build system [build] All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: