OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

zooming is disabling rain and clouds in silverlining

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drout

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject:

Hi,

I`m using osg with silverlining, and when i try to zoom in (using makescale or setscale) it just hides the clouds in silverlining (and if enabled, the rain also disappears). Did any of you already experience it, and found a solution that could help me? Thanks!

Cheers,
lawrence
SMesserschmidt (Sebastian Messerschmidt)
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Hi Lawrence,

Where do you apply the scale? To the view matrix? Why don't you change the projection regarding the FoV? Since Silverlining is using some kind of skybox, scaling the view might result in strange results

Cheers
Sebastian
--

lawrence wong <> (
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
) schrieb:
Quote:
Hi,

I`m using osg with silverlining, and when i try to zoom in (using makescale or setscale) it just hides the clouds in silverlining (and if enabled, the rain also disappears). Did any of you already experience it, and found a solution that could help me? Thanks!

Cheers,
lawrence

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=59850#59850

Get registred or enter the forums!
)
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
drout

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Hi Sebastian, thanks for the quick reply!

i`m pasting here below, the part of the code that deals with the camera matrix:

Code:

osg::Matrixd cameraMatrix;
osg::Matrixd cameraRotation;
osg::Matrixd cameraTrans;
osg::Matrixd cameraZoom;

cameraRotation.makeRotate( roll, vec3(0,1,0), pitch, vec3(1,0,0), heading, vec3(0,0,1) );

osg::Vec3f pos = nodeTrackerManip->getMatrix().getTrans();
cameraTrans.makeTranslate( pos.x(), pos.y(), pos.z() );

cameraMatrix = cameraRotation * cameraTrans;

cameraMatrix.invert(cameraMatrix);

// from OpenGL (Y up) to OSG (Z up)
osg::Matrixd rotationToYUp;
rotationToYUp.makeRotate( -osg::PI / 2.0, osg::Vec3(1.0, 0.0, 0.0) );

//===========================================
// ---------> here is the problem. If zoom is > 1 then the clouds won`t be visible anymore...
cameraZoom.makeScale( zoom, zoom, 1 );
//===========================================

cameraMatrix = cameraMatrix * rotationToYUp * cameraZoom;

Thank you!

Cheers,
lawrence
drout

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject:

and thanks for the hint!! i will try the following line tomorrow morning when i get back to the pcs running the simulator Smile

Code:

_viewer.getCamera()->setProjectionMatrixAsPerspective( zoom, 16./9., ZNearMain, 110000. );

I will let you know if this works. Thanks again!

Cheers,
lawrence
Sundog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject:

Hi,

Keep in mind zoom and field of view (FOV) aren't quite the same thing... that first parameter should probably be more like fov / zoom, where typical fov's are around 45 degrees.

I'm pretty sure Sebastian's advice will get you going; lots of people are using SilverLining with OSG and lots of different FOV's without trouble. But feel free to contact us here at Sundog Software ( http://sundog-soft.com/sds/about/ ) if you need further assistance. Ideally if you could modify the OSG sample application that comes with SilverLining to reproduce your problem, we can look into it more easily.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Frank
drout

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Hi Frank and Sebastian,

So i just tested "setProjectionMatrixAsPerspective" it really worked as alternate to makeScale, zooming the scene as expected (but not quite...)

Zooming now does not hide Silverlining's rain and clouds. That's Ok. On the other hand, now that i'm altering FOV, it reaches a point when zooming in, where the screen flashes due to each raindrop passing in front of the scene. As far as i could figure out by observing it, the rain is implemented as thin semi-transparent rectangles (raindrop) in a plane so this behavior is kind of expected.

I just did a quick test trying to simulate rain using osg::ImageSequence with a couple of .png's resulting in animated droplets and i attached the imageSequence to a new osg::Camera and when i zoomed in the scene using FOV it solved the problem - the raindrops stayed the original size. I think i could use this process to render a windshield wiper swinging side to side now.

There may be a better way to solve this issue with zooming the scene while preserving the original rain, i'd gladly implement such a solution! Smile

Thank you!

Cheers,
lawrence
Sundog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject:
Re: zooming is disabling rain and clouds in silverlining

drout wrote:
now that i'm altering FOV, it reaches a point when zooming in, where the screen flashes due to each raindrop passing in front of the scene. As far as i could figure out by observing it, the rain is implemented as thin semi-transparent rectangles (raindrop) in a plane so this behavior is kind of expected.

Well yes, if you zoom in that far the raindrops near the camera will also get bigger. If you open up the resources/silverlining.config file, you might try increasing the value of rain-near-clip a bit in order to reduce that effect. Or you could substitute your own image-based effect like you're doing.

This is sort of getting more into SilverLining support and less about OSG at this point though. Again feel free to just contact us directly if you need further assistance.

Thanks,
Frank
drout

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject:

You're right, i'm going off-topic, sry :-s I will try to modify that config file - that was a very interesting hint, Thank you again!

Thank you!

Cheers,
lawrence Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: