OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

Who wants: Multi screen, Head tracked, Immersive Quad-Buffered Stereo using only native OSG for Octave (CAVE) environments?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> Announcement [ANN]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seanmandrake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject:
Who wants: Multi screen, Head tracked, Immersive Quad-Buffered Stereo using only native OSG for Octave (CAVE) environments?

Hello dear OSG-community,

I am a PhD student researching immersive stereo related work.
(I have other experience, but I won't bore you here, search for "Sean C.M. Hill" on linked-in if you are curious)

As I approach the end of my second year of PhD I now have a fully working (albeit somewhat slow) multi-screen (14 in fact) head-tracked (vicon tracker over VRPN) stereo (Quad-bufferred) immersive system running using ONLY OSG libraries and on a single multi-GFX machine.

I can't post links yet (new forum user) but if you want to see a video of an old alpha test in mono (because seeing is believing) then get on youtube and look for "University of Salford PhD: Alpha test 2" or paste in YiKFHl7E0b4 as the youtube ID no.

At the moment I am clutching my code to my chest because it's a PhD and originality is everything here but would like to share my work with everyone once I have written the all-important papers and so-forth because open-source rocks. In the meantime I was wondering if there was any interest in this and thought I would make myself known and just say Hi! Smile Feel free to say Hi! back Very Happy

Kind regards,

Sean

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
FYI: I built this lovely bit of code over two years (?!) because I am eccentric and love portable, clean code and it -really- annoyed me that OSG points us all away to 3rd party implementations for this kind of thing. I actually built it as a test platform for investigating things like interface useability in 3D space, command centre development and immersive design and CAD. If any of that interests you then, well, I will be posting that on various channels over the coming year (2015). BUT. Be warned now, University research work is like an iceberg: Really slow and mostly hidden underwater... and also pretty immense Smile So be patient.

PS: I also have a quad-buffered fakery idea in the works so any old ordinary GFX card and half-decent monitor (fast refresh/pixeldecay) can run shutter glasses albeit with some limitations. I am short on time for pursuing that right now but might also interest someone?

PPS: What the heck is an 'Octave?' : The Octave is a unique environment at the University of Salford consisting of 8 rear wall projectors in an octagon and 6 down-facing ceiling projectors plus lots of other toys. It allows for total-immersion AKA Tron/Holodeck/Rumble-room. It's a bit like a CAVE (you can search-engine that one) but a lot cooler.
cbuchner1
Appreciator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Hi,

It would be great if you dropped the hard requirement for Quad Buffer Stereo because with traditional stereo methods for consumer cards (e.g. Side by Side stereo) you can get similar quality, but with lower requirements for the hardware costs. I don't think you need to do any extra fakery, as OSG already includes that fakery as part of its rendering pipeline Wink

Christian

2014-11-14 12:24 GMT+01:00 Sean Mandrake < (
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
)>:
Quote:
Hello dear OSG-community,

I am a PhD student researching immersive stereo related work.
(I have other experience, but I won't bore you here, search for "Sean C.M. Hill" on linked-in if you are curious)

As I approach the end of my second year of PhD I now have a fully working (albeit somewhat slow) multi-screen (14 in fact) head-tracked (vicon tracker over VRPN) stereo (Quad-bufferred) immersive system running using ONLY OSG libraries and on a single multi-GFX machine.

I can't post links yet (new forum user) but if you want to see a video of an old alpha test in mono (because seeing is believing) then get on youtube and look for "University of Salford PhD: Alpha test 2" or paste in YiKFHl7E0b4 as the youtube ID no.

At the moment I am clutching my code to my chest because it's a PhD and originality is everything here but would like to share my work with everyone once I have written the all-important papers and so-forth because open-source rocks. In the meantime I was wondering if there was any interest in this and thought I would make myself known and just say Hi! Smile Feel free to say Hi! back Very Happy

Kind regards,

Sean

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
FYI: I built this lovely bit of code over two years (?!) because I am eccentric and love portable, clean code and it -really- annoyed me that OSG points us all away to 3rd party implementations for this kind of thing. I actually built it as a test platform for investigating things like interface useability in 3D space, command centre development and immersive design and CAD. If any of that interests you then, well, I will be posting that on various channels over the coming year (2015). BUT. Be warned now, University research work is like an iceberg: Really slow and mostly hidden underwater... and also pretty immense Smile So be patient.

PS: I also have a quad-buffered fakery idea in the works so any old ordinary GFX card and half-decent monitor (fast refresh/pixeldecay) can run shutter glasses albeit with some limitations. I am short on time for pursuing that right now but might also interest someone?

PPS: What the heck is an 'Octave?' : The Octave is a unique environment at the University of Salford consisting of 8 rear wall projectors in an octagon and 6 down-facing ceiling projectors plus lots of other toys. It allows for total-immersion AKA Tron/Holodeck/Rumble-room. It's a bit like a CAVE (you can search-engine that one) but a lot cooler.

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=61642#61642

)
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Jan Ciger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject:

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 1:46 PM, Christian Buchner < (
)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

It would be great if you dropped the hard requirement for Quad Buffer Stereo because with traditional stereo methods for consumer cards (e.g. Side by Side stereo) you can get similar quality, but with lower requirements for the hardware costs. I don't think you need to do any extra fakery, as OSG already includes that fakery as part of its rendering pipeline Wink

Yep, I second that - there is very good support for quadbuffer (and other stereo modes) in OSG already, no need to duplicate work.

On the other hand, what is missing is the head tracking integration where the view frustum deforms based on the head position - not hard to do, but it would be nice to have that as a library (e.g. a special tracked camera node or something), especially with VRPN as input.

Re multi-screen setup - OSG supports some basic setup out of the box, for bigger things there is Equalizer (http://www.equalizergraphics.com/) How does your solution compare with that?

J.

------------------
seanmandrake

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject:

I am using the quad-buffer support that OSG provides not replacing it, don't worry. However OSG doesn't provide easy arbitrary multi-monitor support for many differently positioned screens. In that regard I am only expanding upon it's support, not replacing it. This is something that VRjuggler / Equalizer etc do superbly and much more maturely than my code but it simply irritates me that I have to use a complicated external API / middleware for what should be an integrated task. Im my opinion. You may disagree of course, hence the initial post Smile

Side-by-side is an entirely different kettle of fish which would be easy to code up, it's just two cameras and two views so I haven't done anything with that. Quad buffer is an inherrent requirement for shutter glasses however so I am on about circumventing this need in software but it's merely an idea and a work in progress and may well fail. There are certainly many pitfalls here.

I do have the head-tracking code largely complete albeit unoptimized and it works really nicely. That is something I will definitely make available. You simply input physical screen dimensions, track your head in some manner (there is a nice Wii option for this that gives fair tracking if you can't afford Vicon) and it generates the necessary data to pass to your camera(s).

Best regards,
Sean
cbuchner1
Appreciator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Side-by-side is an entirely different kettle of fish which would be easy to code up, it's just two cameras and
two views so I haven't done anything with that. Quad buffer is an inherrent requirement for shutter glasses however

set OSG_STEREO=ON

set OSG_STEREO_MODE=HORIZONTAL_SPLIT

and OSG renders side by side into your viewport. There's native support - I just do not know how well this would extend
to multiple screens or a CAVE setup.

Christian

2014-11-20 14:31 GMT+01:00 Sean Mandrake < (
)>:
Quote:
I am using the quad-buffer support that OSG provides not replacing it, don't worry. However OSG doesn't provide easy arbitrary multi-monitor support for many differently positioned screens. In that regard I am only expanding upon it's support, not replacing it. This is something that VRjuggler / Equalizer etc do superbly and much more maturely than my code but it simply irritates me that I have to use a complicated external API / middleware for what should be an integrated task. Im my opinion. You may disagree of course, hence the initial post Smile

Side-by-side is an entirely different kettle of fish which would be easy to code up, it's just two cameras and two views so I haven't done anything with that. Quad buffer is an inherrent requirement for shutter glasses however so I am on about circumventing this need in software but it's merely an idea and a work in progress and may well fail. There are certainly many pitfalls here.

I do have the head-tracking code largely complete albeit unoptimized and it works really nicely. That is something I will definitely make available. You simply input physical screen dimensions, track your head in some manner (there is a nice Wii option for this that gives fair tracking if you can't afford Vicon) and it generates the necessary data to pass to your camera(s).

Best regards,
Sean

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=61738#61738

)
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org

------------------
simon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Side-by-side is an entirely different kettle of fish which would be easy
to code up, it's just two cameras and two views so I haven't done anything
with that. Quad buffer is an inherrent requirement for shutter glasses
however so I am on about circumventing this need in software but it's
merely an idea and a work in progress and may well fail. There are
certainly many pitfalls here.

As mentioned already OSG already has modes for doing this, I tinker'ed a
little with them to get Quadro cards outputing to 120Hz DLP projectors.

Quote:
I do have the head-tracking code largely complete albeit unoptimized and
it works really nicely. That is something I will definitely make
available. You simply input physical screen dimensions, track your head in
some manner (there is a nice Wii option for this that gives fair tracking
if you can't afford Vicon) and it generates the necessary data to pass to
your camera(s).

I dream of Vicon, but the CFO/Wife probably would not sign off on it. ;-)

Please keep posting about your progress, this sort of thing is really
interesting.

I'd be especially interested if your work could be expanded to
multi-person views (ie. multiple people wearing headsets in the same
simulation).
Simon

------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> Announcement [ANN] All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: