OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

osgVegetation - A vegetation database builder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> Announcement [ANN]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohanH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Hello dear OSG-community,

osgVegetation is my ongoing attempt to create an open source library for vegetation generation.

Focus in the current version is offline generation but the library can also be application-integrated and used for runtime generation (at application startup). Note however that if your terrain database is large this will probably not be an alternative due to the time consuming scattering process. Later on I may try to integrate some real-time scattering options.

To generate a database you basically define some vegetation layers that include vegetation density, billboard textures or mesh objects, view distance, coverage material etc. The final step is to call the generator (with the defined layers) that will return a quad tree based LOD-node structure much like a regular terrain database.

The repository include two samples, one that show billboard scattering and one sample that use mesh scattering. The repository also includes an offline console application that load layers from xml files and output the generated database to disk.

The library is under development but feel free to try it out, you can find the code here: https://github.com/leadcoder/osgVegetation
The library is currently only test on Windows with OSG version 3.2.1, if you have another setup you probably have to hack the cmake files to get a successful build.

Note:
For billboards rendering you can either use a geometry-shader based rendering technique (default) or a geometry instancing technique that use the osg::TextureBuffer for holding instance data. When using the later you may have to patch OSG to be able to save TextureBuffer objects disk, at least if you use osg 3.2.1 and the output format is .ive. The same also applies to the default mesh rendering technique.

Best regards,
Johan
kingarthur10

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Hello Johan,When trying to configure trunk with CMake-gui, I get the following errors:

The C compiler identification is GNU 4.9.1
The CXX compiler identification is GNU 4.9.1
Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
Detecting C compiler ABI info
Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
CMake Error at applications/CMakeLists.txt:3 (FILE):
  file COPY cannot find "/bin/ot20-OpenThreadsd.dll".

CMake Error at applications/CMakeLists.txt:4 (FILE):
  file COPY cannot find "/bin/ot20-OpenThreads.dll".

CMake Error at applications/CMakeLists.txt:5 (FILE):
  file COPY cannot find "/bin/osgPlugins-3.2.1".

CMake Error at applications/CMakeLists.txt:6 (FILE):

CMake Error at samples/CMakeLists.txt:3 (FILE):

CMake Error at samples/CMakeLists.txt:4 (FILE):

CMake Error at samples/CMakeLists.txt:5 (FILE):

CMake Error at samples/CMakeLists.txt:6 (FILE):

Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/me/Downloads/osgVegetation-master/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 1:27 PM, Johan Hedstrom < (
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
)> wrote:
Quote:

osgVegetation is my ongoing attempt to create an open source library for vegetation generation.

Focus in the current version is offline generation but the library can also be application-integrated and used for runtime generation (at application startup).  Note however that if your terrain database is large this will probably not be an alternative due to the time consuming scattering process.  Later on I may try to integrate some real-time scattering options.

To generate a database you basically define some vegetation layers that include vegetation density, billboard textures or mesh objects, view distance, coverage material etc. The final step is to call the generator (with the defined layers) that will return a quad tree based LOD-node structure much like a regular terrain database.

The repository include two samples, one that show billboard scattering and one sample that use mesh scattering. The repository also includes an offline console application that load layers from xml files and output the generated database to disk.

The library is under development but feel free to try it out, you can find the code here: https://github.com/leadcoder/osgVegetation
The library is currently only test on Windows with OSG version 3.2.1, if you have another setup you probably have to hack the cmake files to get a successful build.

Note:
For billboards rendering you can either use a geometry-shader based rendering technique (default) or a geometry instancing technique that use the osg::TextureBuffer for holding instance data. When using the later you may have to patch OSG to be able to save TextureBuffer objects disk, at least if you use osg 3.2.1 and the output format is .ive. The same also applies to the default mesh rendering technique.

Best regards,
Johan

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=62408#62408

)
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
kornerr
Appreciator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject:

It would be nice to see some screenshots. Both here and at github.

2015-01-22 6:13 GMT+07:00 Arthur Bogard < (
)>:
Quote:
Hello Johan,When trying to configure trunk with CMake-gui, I get the following errors:

The C compiler identification is GNU 4.9.1
The CXX compiler identification is GNU 4.9.1
Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
Detecting C compiler ABI info
Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
CMake Error at applications/CMakeLists.txt:3 (FILE):

CMake Error at applications/CMakeLists.txt:4 (FILE):

CMake Error at applications/CMakeLists.txt:5 (FILE):

CMake Error at applications/CMakeLists.txt:6 (FILE):

CMake Error at samples/CMakeLists.txt:3 (FILE):

CMake Error at samples/CMakeLists.txt:4 (FILE):

CMake Error at samples/CMakeLists.txt:5 (FILE):

CMake Error at samples/CMakeLists.txt:6 (FILE):

Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/me/Downloads/osgVegetation-master/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 1:27 PM, Johan Hedstrom < (
)> wrote:
Quote:

Focus in the current version is offline generation but the library can also be application-integrated and used for runtime generation (at application startup).  Note however that if your terrain database is large this will probably not be an alternative due to the time consuming scattering process.  Later on I may try to integrate some real-time scattering options.

Note:

Best regards,
Johan

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=62408#62408

)

)

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
JohanH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject:

Hi Guys,

kingarthur10:
by looking at the cmake-log I assume that your platform is Linux, unfortunately the library is only tested under Windows (compiled with MSVC2010) but it’s on the roadmap to fix the cmake-files to support Linux builds as well. If you know some cmake I would point you to start looking into the OSGDep.cmake file in the CMakeModules folder, for instance the OSG_BIN_FILES_DEBUG/ OSG_BIN_FILES_RELEASE variables should probably be empty for Linux builds (you usually keep your shared libraries in the path at one location).

kornerr:
Yes I'll try to upload some screenshots to github tonight, the sample media is however not that impressive so it’s on my todo-list to get some better showcase art.

Best regards,
Johan
Adun
Appreciator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject:

I managed to compile it under Linux gcc 4.8.2 on ubuntu 14.04
For portability I suggest using std::runtime_error than std::exception.
Also please use #include <osg/Vec3> than #include <osg/vec3>
I slightly change CmakeLists.txt. and all compiles fine.
Best regards,
Roman
JohanH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject:

Hi
The repository is now updated with Aduns suggestions and some other fixes to support the GCC/Linux environment. My test environment is Ubuntu 12.04 (using GCC 4.6.2) but it’s a virtual machine (Virtual Box) so I’don’t get all OpenGL capabilities needed for the samples run as intended (texture arrays, geometry shader etc.)

Kornerr: You can find screenshots here: https://github.com/leadcoder/osgVegetation/tree/master/images

Best regards,
Johan
Br0ken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Screenshots looks very nice!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> Announcement [ANN] All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: