OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

serializer bug in osgText::TextBase and osg::Camera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> Submission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
locan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Hello,

I have been testing I/O operation on osgText::Text and I discovered that writing to osgt format does not work correctly due to invalid bit-wise comparison.

I checked all the serializers for similar user serializers and found that also osg::Camera has same bug in writeClearMask. I didn't found any other serializer but if there are any that you are aware of (beside TextBase and Camera) they should be checked as well.

The attached code in openscenegraph.zip resolves this issue in both serializers.

I have also attached BitFlagsSerializer.h as a proposal for serializing bit flags . If there are multiple bitflags that are serialized inside OSG then I believe it is better if system serializer is added and used instead of producing same or similar code in user serializer(s).

Miha

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
robertosfield
OSG Project Lead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject:

Hi Miha,

Thanks for spotting and resolving this bug.  I have done a quick review of the proposed serializer but at this point haven't done a close enough review to figure out the consequences for backwards compatibility of this change. Any thoughts on this?

To resolve the bug I have merged your other changes with a small tweak and comparing the bit mask result against !=0 rather than the repeating the enum.  This little tweak reduces the amount of code and should make it less likely a copy and paste style bug might creep in at a later date.

The changes that I went for are:

$ svn diff
Index: src/osgWrappers/serializers/osg/Camera.cpp
===================================================================
--- src/osgWrappers/serializers/osg/Camera.cpp  (revision 14710)
+++ src/osgWrappers/serializers/osg/Camera.cpp  (working copy)
@@ -143,10 +143,10 @@
     else
     {
         std::string maskString;
-        if ( mask==GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT ) maskString += std::string("COLOR|");
-        if ( mask==GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT ) maskString += std::string("DEPTH|");
-        if ( mask==GL_ACCUM_BUFFER_BIT ) maskString += std::string("ACCUM|");
-        if ( mask==GL_STENCIL_BUFFER_BIT ) maskString += std::string("STENCIL|");
+        if ( (mask & GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT)!=0 ) maskString += std::string("COLOR|");
+        if ( (mask & GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT)!=0 ) maskString += std::string("DEPTH|");
+        if ( (mask & GL_ACCUM_BUFFER_BIT)!=0 ) maskString += std::string("ACCUM|");
+        if ( (mask & GL_STENCIL_BUFFER_BIT)!=0 ) maskString += std::string("STENCIL|");
         if ( !maskString.size() ) maskString = std::string("NONE|");
         os << maskString.substr(0, maskString.size()-1) << std::endl;
     }
Index: src/osgWrappers/serializers/osgText/TextBase.cpp
--- src/osgWrappers/serializers/osgText/TextBase.cpp    (revision 14710)
+++ src/osgWrappers/serializers/osgText/TextBase.cpp    (working copy)
@@ -159,10 +159,10 @@
     else
     {
-        if ( mask==osgText::TextBase::TEXT ) maskString += std::string("TEXT|");
-        if ( mask==osgText::TextBase::BOUNDINGBOX ) maskString += std::string("BOUND|");
-        if ( mask==osgText::TextBase::FILLEDBOUNDINGBOX ) maskString += std::string("FILLED|");
-        if ( mask==osgText::TextBase::ALIGNMENT ) maskString += std::string("ALIGNMENT|");
+        if ( (mask&osgText::TextBase::TEXT)!=0 ) maskString += std::string("TEXT|");
+        if ( (mask&osgText::TextBase::BOUNDINGBOX)!=0 ) maskString += std::string("BOUND|");
+        if ( (mask&osgText::TextBase::FILLEDBOUNDINGBOX)!=0 ) maskString += std::string("FILLED|");
+        if ( (mask&osgText::TextBase::ALIGNMENT)!=0 ) maskString += std::string("ALIGNMENT|");
     }

Cheers,

Robert.

On 22 February 2015 at 21:53, Miha Ravšelj < (
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
)> wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

I have been testing I/O operation on osgText::Text and I discovered that writing to osgt format does not work correctly due to invalid bit-wise comparison.

I checked all the serializers for similar user serializers and found that also osg::Camera has same bug in writeClearMask. I didn't found any other serializer but if there are any that you are aware of (beside TextBase and Camera) they should be checked as well.

The attached code in openscenegraph.zip resolves this issue in both serializers.

I have also attached BitFlagsSerializer.h as a proposal for serializing bit flags . If there are multiple bitflags that are serialized inside OSG then I believe it is better if system serializer is added and used instead of producing same or similar code in user serializer(s).

Miha

)
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-submissions-openscenegraph.org

------------------
locan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject:

Hi Robert,

finally I managed to find some time to reply to your previous mail.

Regarding previous submission it was only partial solution. After further testing I found similar bug also in ClearNode serializer.

//GLbitfield mask = GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT|GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT;
This line was problematic since it produced incorrect result when let's say COLOR flag is serialized
it should be null as in Camera serializer or in a proposed BitFlagsSerializer

This line of code caused that whenever only GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT bit was written and on value read GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT|GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT was restored instead of GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT only.

//GLbitfield mask = 0; //this resolves the issue same as in camera
Also same bit-wise comparison bug was also present in write method.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see there are total 3 bit mask serializers in OSG and all 3 had bugs so I decided to add ADD_BITFLAGS_SERIALIZER and replace USER serializers in osg::Camera, osg::ClearNode and osgText::TextBase. I have made sure that bitflags serializer does not break backwards-compatibility since it uses same code as user serializer does in all 3 cases. (see tester.cpp on how compatibility test was performed)

Attached patch file is against current trunk( 14749 ).

Cheers,

Miha

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 12:46 PM, Robert Osfield < (
)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi Miha,

Thanks for spotting and resolving this bug.  I have done a quick review of the proposed serializer but at this point haven't done a close enough review to figure out the consequences for backwards compatibility of this change. Any thoughts on this?

To resolve the bug I have merged your other changes with a small tweak and comparing the bit mask result against !=0 rather than the repeating the enum.  This little tweak reduces the amount of code and should make it less likely a copy and paste style bug might creep in at a later date.

$ svn diff
@@ -143,10 +143,10 @@
     else
     {
-        if ( mask==GL_STENCIL_BUFFER_BIT ) maskString += std::string("STENCIL|");
+        if ( (mask & GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT)!=0 ) maskString += std::string("COLOR|");
+        if ( (mask & GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT)!=0 ) maskString += std::string("DEPTH|");
+        if ( (mask & GL_ACCUM_BUFFER_BIT)!=0 ) maskString += std::string("ACCUM|");
+        if ( (mask & GL_STENCIL_BUFFER_BIT)!=0 ) maskString += std::string("STENCIL|");
     }
@@ -159,10 +159,10 @@
     else
     {
-        if ( mask==osgText::TextBase::TEXT ) maskString += std::string("TEXT|");
-        if ( mask==osgText::TextBase::BOUNDINGBOX ) maskString += std::string("BOUND|");
-        if ( mask==osgText::TextBase::FILLEDBOUNDINGBOX ) maskString += std::string("FILLED|");
-        if ( mask==osgText::TextBase::ALIGNMENT ) maskString += std::string("ALIGNMENT|");
+        if ( (mask&osgText::TextBase::TEXT)!=0 ) maskString += std::string("TEXT|");
+        if ( (mask&osgText::TextBase::BOUNDINGBOX)!=0 ) maskString += std::string("BOUND|");
+        if ( (mask&osgText::TextBase::FILLEDBOUNDINGBOX)!=0 ) maskString += std::string("FILLED|");
+        if ( (mask&osgText::TextBase::ALIGNMENT)!=0 ) maskString += std::string("ALIGNMENT|");
     }

Cheers,

Robert.

)> wrote:

Quote:
Hello,

Miha

)

)

------------------
robertosfield
OSG Project Lead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject:

Hi Miha,

Excellent work - both on reproducing the problem in a really coherent way and providing a what looks to be a fully backwards compatible fix.  I have merged the changes and checked them into svn/trunk.

The only tweak I had to make was to move the StringList and split defintions from ObjectWrapper to the Serializer header, and add in replace _name usage to ParentType::_name to get things to compile with my g++4.9.1 compiler.

Cheers,

Robert.

On 2 March 2015 at 23:14, Miha Ravšelj < (
)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi Robert,

finally I managed to find some time to reply to your previous mail.

Regarding previous submission it was only partial solution. After further testing I found similar bug also in ClearNode serializer.

//GLbitfield mask = GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT|GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT;
This line was problematic since it produced incorrect result when let's say COLOR flag is serialized
it should be null as in Camera serializer or in a proposed BitFlagsSerializer

This line of code caused that whenever only GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT bit was written and on value read GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT|GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT was restored instead of GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT only.

//GLbitfield mask = 0; //this resolves the issue same as in camera
Also same bit-wise comparison bug was also present in write method.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see there are total 3 bit mask serializers in OSG and all 3 had bugs so I decided to add ADD_BITFLAGS_SERIALIZER and replace USER serializers in osg::Camera, osg::ClearNode and osgText::TextBase. I have made sure that bitflags serializer does not break backwards-compatibility since it uses same code as user serializer does in all 3 cases. (see tester.cpp on how compatibility test was performed)

Attached patch file is against current trunk( 14749 ).

Cheers,

Miha

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 12:46 PM, Robert Osfield < (
)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi Miha,

$ svn diff
@@ -143,10 +143,10 @@
     else
     {
     }
@@ -159,10 +159,10 @@
     else
     {
     }

Cheers,

Robert.

)> wrote:

Quote:
Hello,

Miha

)

)

)

------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> Submission All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: