OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

Trouble Building Stable 3.0.1 And Conflicting Newer Libraries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> Build system [build]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kabbotta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject:

I've been trying to build osg on an arch system for a bit now and I'm running into some problems with newer libraries. I was trying to use the new version in the arch repo (3.2.1), but whenver I tried to load a .osg scene file, the entire computer would immediately lock up and it sounded like the computer suddenly started spinning the disk at hyper speed. You know, one of those really bad freeze ups where you can't even kill the process. I couldn't even get an error message because it froze up so fast. But displaying a basic window seemed to work fine.

So I've been trying to build 3.0.1 in hopes that it would be more stable, but I'm having problems with conflicts related to giflib, ffmpeg, and xine. The arch wiki already mentions that osg needs to link against the older compatibility version of ffmpeg and I've made two very small changes to the GIF reader class in the source to accomodate the problem with the newer giflib, but the build is starting to seem a bit ad-hoc.

How can I change the cmake build process so that it uses some older versions of ffmpeg and xine-lib? Or should I just ignore these extra plugins somehow, because I only really need osg for scene management and rendering?

Thanks!
kabbotta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I've narrowed down the problem. It turns out it only occurs with some of the .osg/.osgt files from the SampleData. If I try and load the "cessna.osg", "cessna.osgt", "cow.osg", or "cow.osgt" files, then my entire computer instantly freezes so badly that I can't even kill the process. But if I load the "fountain.osgt" file, everything works fine. It even animates the fountain's particle system just fine.

I've checked and the problem exists with either the arch 3.2.1 build or when I build 3.0.1 myself. I'm using the 3.0.0 sample data. Is there an updated version? Or do I need to convert the files somehow? I'm kind of lost because everything freezes so fast that I don't even get any error messages printed to the log. The log is completely empty, a black screen shows up, the entire computer freezes, and then my disk drive sounds like it starts running at twice the speed. I'm forced to shutdown and start all over. I've been reading through the Quick-Start guid for 3.0.0 and basically all of the features seem to work fine. It's just loading those particular scene files that causes this error.
Alberto Luaces

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject:

Hi Michael,

"Michael Chapman" writes:

Quote:
Is
there an updated version?

You can try the new 3.4.0-rc7 to see if something changes.

Quote:
Or do I need to convert the files somehow?

I should not be needed; it must be some kind of bug.

--
Alberto

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
kabbotta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought of trying the newest release. 3.4.0-r4 built without any errors, but the entire system still crashes when I try to load the "cessna.osg" or "cessna.osgt" files. I can load my own .obj files and I can load other .osg/.osgt files just fine, but I still get that massive freeze when I try to load certain files.

I've tried to 3.0.1, 3.2.1, 3.3.9, and 3.4.0-r4.
robertosfield
OSG Project Lead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Hi Michael,

Just back from my holiday and catching up with things.  Looking at this thread it sounds like a driver problem that is being revealed by certain types of OpenGL usage that the OSG is producing with the models in question.  There is a chance it's an obscure OSG bug that others haven't come across (you are the first to report this type of problem), but for now I think it most likely that the it's a driver issue.

What hardware and drivers are you using?

Have you tried on any other OS+driver+hardware combinations?

Robert.

On 29 July 2015 at 04:24, Michael Chapman < (
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
)> wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought of trying the newest release. 3.4.0-r4 built without any errors, but the entire system still crashes when I try to load the "cessna.osg" or "cessna.osgt" files. I can load my own .obj files and I can load other .osg/.osgt files just fine, but I still get that massive freeze when I try to load certain files.

I've tried to 3.0.1, 3.2.1, 3.3.9, and 3.4.0-r4.

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=64516#64516

)
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org

------------------
kabbotta

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject:

Oh, that might be the problem. I'm working on an older computer and only the legacy open source AMD drivers are available. The graphics card is a Radeon X1650 Pro and it only allows up to OpenGL 2.1. Maybe the cessna file uses some modern feature that isn't available with the legacy drivers.
robertosfield
OSG Project Lead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject:

Hi Michael,

On 2 August 2015 at 02:57, Michael Chapman < (
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
)> wrote:
Quote:
Oh, that might be the problem. I'm working on an older computer and only the legacy open source AMD drivers are available. The graphics card is a Radeon X1650 Pro and it only allows up to OpenGL 2.1. Maybe the cessna file uses some modern feature that isn't available with the legacy drivers.

The cessna model is about as vanilla OpenGL 1.x as you can get. It's been part of the OSG data for over a decade without problems.

For an OSG app to lock the whole machine up suggests a driver issue as the OSG code itself is all just straight forward C++, there aren't any clever hacks.  On the OpenGL side we just pass data along to OpenGL and let the driver do what it needs to do.  The drivers themselves are low level with direct control of hardware and collaborate with the OS at low level so has lots of potential for bugs to cause major failures.

Robert.

------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> Build system [build] All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: