OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

ETC1 and other TC format support in DDS plugin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> Plugins [osgPlugins]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psi29a

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject:

Hello, I'm currently a developer for the OpenMW[1] project. One the sub-projects I'm heading up there is a openmw-template, which has just enough assets to be usable by OpenMW and allow others to build upon it.

Upon testing on the RPi2 (Raspberry Pi 2), I noticed that the that the GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc is not supported by the VC4 hardware that Eric Anholt[2] is working to support via the VC4 DRM driver[3].

The VC4 does however support the GL_OES_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_texture extension which is guaranteed to be in OpenGL 4.3 anyway.

Is there any way that the DDS plugin can incorporate ETC1?

Attachment is a screenshot of OpenMW running Morrowind on the RPi2. Smile
Alberto Luaces

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject:

"bret curtis" writes:

Quote:
Is there any way that the DDS plugin can incorporate ETC1?

If a patch that activates ETC1 as that plugin's options is submitted, I
guess there will be any problem. Unfortunately, I don't own a RPi2 to
try; maybe others can.

Quote:

Attachment is a screenshot of OpenMW running Morrowind on the RPi2. Smile

Cool!

--
Alberto

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
psi29a

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Here is the good news, ETC1 is supported by NVIDIA's binary blob on Linux even though it isn't announced. So it can be tested. I validated this by loading a KTX file (instead of a DDS) file, so the code to handle ETC1 is available but only in the KTX plugin.

VC4 (in RPi) announces support, but it isn't live yet. Eric Anholt confirmed this when I talked to him last week. It is coming.

Intel announces support, but OSG gives a message that the opengl function isn't supported. So I don't know if this is problem with Intel's driver or in OSG itself.

BTW: Here is a shot of OpenMW (using OSG) running with uncompressed textures on the RPi2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> Plugins [osgPlugins] All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: