OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

OpenFlight plugin update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> Plugins [osgPlugins]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckuliukas
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject:
OpenFlight plugin update

Hi,

I've started writing an update to the OpenFlight plugin to support the "extended material" options in Creator, mainly so we can use the auto-generated bump-map textures in our shaders.

I don't want to have to redo it every time there's an OSG update though, so I'm wondering what the process is for submitting updates, and whether I can submit partial support for the new options or if it must be complete? (Since there's quite a lot to these extended materials and I'm mainly interested in certain aspects)

There are basically about 10 new opcodes / records, which affect the osg::Material and osg::StateSets that are generated as part of the FLT's material palette.

There are also other features introduced between now and 2009, when the last update happened, that I'm not interested in. Will it be okay for me to add in targeted support for the specific things we're interested in supporting? Or would this not get in and we should fork our own custom plugin?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Chris

SMesserschmidt (Sebastian Messerschmidt)
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject:
OpenFlight plugin update

Hi Chris,
Quote:
Hi,

I've started writing an update to the OpenFlight plugin to support the "extended material" options in Creator, mainly so we can use the auto-generated bump-map textures in our shaders.
I'm not familiar with this feature set of OpenFlight, maybe you can give
a more detailed view on this?
Quote:

I don't want to have to redo it every time there's an OSG update though, so I'm wondering what the process is for submitting updates, and whether I can submit partial support for the new options or if it must be complete? (Since there's quite a lot to these extended materials and I'm mainly interested in certain aspects)
Simply submit all complete files affected by your changes to the
osg-submission mailing list (best option is to put them into an archive).
A complete support might be more interesting, but this might serve as a
starting point for others. Even if the submission is not accepted,
others (like myself) might find it useful.

Quote:

There are basically about 10 new opcodes / records, which affect the osg::Material and osg::StateSets that are generated as part of the FLT's material palette.
I see.
Quote:

There are also other features introduced between now and 2009, when the last update happened, that I'm not interested in. Will it be okay for me to add in targeted support for the specific things we're interested in supporting? Or would this not get in and we should fork our own custom plugin?
I've also created some changes which were rejected at the time, but I'd
like to see some approaches here, since OpenFlight is still useful and
important in my field.
Cheers
Sebastian
Quote:

Thank you!

Cheers,
Chris

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=65247#65247

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
ckuliukas
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject:

Hi,

Here is a screenshot which shows the bump map capability we're interested in, but really what it does it let you set up a bunch of parameters and textures which can be sent to your shaders. This way you can do modern rendering effects from your FLTs:

At the moment I've got it loading in these new opcodes but I'm not doing anything with the data.

I guess if it gets rejected I can always fork then, but it would be nicer to have some idea of the requirements for it to be accepted so I know whether I should aim for a custom fork or aim for acceptance.

Chris

hunter789 (Alexandre Vaillancourt)
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Hi,

Any new development on this?

We're thinking about including the opcodes for the extended material headers and Ambient/Diffuse/Specular/Emissive/Alpha (opcodes [135-139]), but only the data that can go in an osg::Material object.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Alexandre
ckuliukas
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject:

We're at the classic commercial FOSS impasse where we both (and probably many others) would benefit from this work, but whoever pays for it to be done loses (especially if it's not accepted).

There are things we need done here more urgently that don't touch on core osg/osgDB , so unfortunatly we will have to wait for this (unless someone is generous)

But if I can offer any help of course let me know,
Chris

hunter789 (Alexandre Vaillancourt)
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Hi,

All right, thanks for the fast reply!

Cheers,
Alexandre
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> Plugins [osgPlugins] All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: