OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

Simple sunlight shadow technqiue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger James

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject:

I am experimenting with a simple sunlight shadow technique using the osgShadow model and basic depth shadows. I would like to set up the shadow casting camera so that I end up with a shadow texture that is a near as possible "filled" with the shadow casting objects as culled by the LOD nodes in the scene using the the inherited viewpoint. It seems to me that the best place to set up this bounding information is during the main scene cull traverse that is done in my(most) shadow technique prior to the render to shadow texture cull traverse. I want to avoid having to manage the placing and removing of cull call backs on every shadow casting geode, which may be different as the user manipulates the scene. The only way I can think of doing this is to derive my own CullVisitor and override the Geode apply function. Have I missed something here? Is there a better way to do it? I know the LISP shadow techniques have a number of complex ways of doing this but I am trying to implement something simple that uses inbuilt OpenGL functionality wherever possible.

Roger

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Wojciech Lewandowski

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Roger,

I had similar dilemma at some point. I was thinking about overridding cull visitor but had problem how to substitute original cull visitor with my class in the middle of cull traversal. Finally I adopted other approach. Once Cull Visitor traverses the scene all drawbles land in render bins. Instead of overriding cull visitor I scan generated render bins and compute Bounding box around drawables that landed in renderd bins. If you are interested in details look at MinimalCullBoundShadowMap code. Its there.

Cheers,
Wojtek

Quote:
----- Original Message -----
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
)
To: OpenSceneGraph Users (
)
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2008 12:55 PM
Subject: Simple sunlight shadow technqiue

I am experimenting with a simple sunlight shadow technique using the osgShadow model and basic depth shadows. I would like to set up the shadow casting camera so that I end up with a shadow texture that is a near as possible "filled" with the shadow casting objects as culled by the LOD nodes in the scene using the the inherited viewpoint. It seems to me that the best place to set up this bounding information is during the main scene cull traverse that is done in my(most) shadow technique prior to the render to shadow texture cull traverse. I want to avoid having to manage the placing and removing of cull call backs on every shadow casting geode, which may be different as the user manipulates the scene. The only way I can think of doing this is to derive my own CullVisitor and override the Geode apply function. Have I missed something here? Is there a better way to do it? I know the LISP shadow techniques have a number of complex ways of doing this but I am trying to implement something simple that uses inbuilt OpenGL functionality wherever possible.

Roger

------------------
Roger James

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Wojciech,

Thanks for the pointer, that code looks interesting. I can override the CullVisitor at the scene root so I don't have quire the same problem. I must admit this is not first time I have wished for a general per node cull callback in osgUtil::CullVisitor. It would also be a way to apply receives shadow state in a more specific fashion.

Roger

Wojciech Lewandowski wrote:
Quote:
Roger,

I had similar dilemma at some point. I was thinking about overridding cull visitor but had problem how to substitute original cull visitor with my class in the middle of cull traversal. Finally I adopted other approach. Once Cull Visitor traverses the scene all drawbles land in render bins. Instead of overriding cull visitor I scan generated render bins and compute Bounding box around drawables that landed in renderd bins. If you are interested in details look at MinimalCullBoundShadowMap code. Its there.

Cheers,
Wojtek

Quote:
----- Original Message -----
)
To: OpenSceneGraph Users (
)
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2008 12:55 PM
Subject: Simple sunlight shadow technqiue

Roger

)
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org

)
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org

------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: