OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

OSG 3.4.0 Build with Visual C++ 2015

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> Build system [build]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeadParrot (Stuart Mentzer)
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject:

Hi,

After some struggle I have managed to make a cookbook for building OSG with Visual C++ 2015. This is very exciting because I should finally be able to build our structural impact modeling application on Windows. There are a few items that would be great to get some feedback on:

For best (release build) performance would it make sense to use /fp:fast (along with /O2 /GS-) or could this create problems with propagation of the NaNs that can arise in OSG?

Would trying to build with Intel C++ likely to give significantly better performance? This is probably a question of whether OSG would benefit from its better auto-vectorization.

If I stick with the VC++ 2015 OSG build I should be OK linking my application built with Intel C++ 2016 to it since they seem to be binary compatible, right?

Since I'll need to build future OSG releases I am willing to host the Windows OSG (starting with 3.4.0) binary packages on our company website if someone on the OSG team wants to add a link to it on the Stable Releases page. Just let me know who best to contact.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Stuart

Last edited by DeadParrot (Stuart Mentzer) on Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
SMesserschmidt (Sebastian Messerschmidt)
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject:

Am 18.04.2016 um 08:59 schrieb Stuart Mentzer:
Quote:
Hi,

After some struggle I have managed to make a cookbook for building OSG with Visual C++ 2015. This is very exciting because I should finally be able to build our structural impact modeling application on Windows. There are a few items that would be great to get some feedback on:

For best (release build) performance would it make sense to use /fp:fast (along with /O2 /GS-) or could this create problems with propagation of the NaNs that can arise in OSG?
That might cause precision problems at least I think I noticed some
rounding errors when using geocentric databases.

Quote:

Would trying to build with Intel C++ likely to give significantly better performance? This is probably a question of whether OSG would benefit from its better auto-vectorization.
It makes more to activate AVX. This gave me some noticeable speed-up
even with the MS-compiler. It will totally depend on your scene-graph
too. So without benchmarking it is hard to tell.
Quote:
If I stick with the VC++ 2015 OSG build I should be OK linking my application built with Intel C++ 2016 to it since they seem to be binary compatible, right?
Usually the Intel compiler beats the MS-compiler by a few percent, but
they use different ABI (at least they did a year ago), If they are still
incompatible you cannot link them. You have to build everything with the
same compiler chain.
Quote:

Since I'll need to build future OSG releases I am willing to host the Windows OSG (starting with 3.4.0) binary packages on our company website if someone on the OSG team wants to add a link to it on the Stable Releases page. Just let me know who best to contact.

Quote:

Thank you!

Cheers,
Stuart[/list]

Cheers
Sebastian
Quote:

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=66848#66848

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject:
Re: OSG 3.4.0 Build with Visual C++ 2015

Thanks Sebastian.

Good reminder about /arch:AVX2. I can post a separate binary package built with this for people with newer CPUs if it shows a good performance gain.

I'll also experiment with /fp:fast and see what the performance gain is, but it sounds like it might not be a good idea for an OSG distribution package.

I'll try to get the Intel C++ builds working and I'll report back if I have any interesting findings. The docs claim binary compatibility with VC++ 2015 with /Qvc14. If there is interest in the CMake additions to support Intel C++ I can push them to a GitHub branch.

If anyone can point me to good performance benchmarks that would be helpful in sorting out the VC++ and Intel C++ options and performance.

Thanks,
Stuart
SMesserschmidt (Sebastian Messerschmidt)
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Am 18.04.2016 um 15:56 schrieb Stuart Mentzer:
Quote:
Thanks Sebastian.

Good reminder about /arch:AVX2. I can post a separate binary package built with this for people with newer CPUs if it shows a good performance gain.
Ok. Be aware not all modern CPUs support this though.
Quote:

I'll also experiment with /fp:fast and see what the performance gain is, but it sounds like it might not be a good idea for an OSG distribution package.

I'll try to get the Intel C++ builds working and I'll report back if I have any interesting findings. The docs claim binary compatibility with VC++ 2015 with /Qvc14. If there is interest in the CMake additions to support Intel C++ I can push them to a GitHub branch.
Ok, I wasn't aware of this. Maybe it is a newer feature. Keep us posted.
Quote:

If anyone can point me to good performance benchmarks that would be helpful in sorting out the VC++ and Intel C++ options and performance.
You won't find something like this, at least not for what you are after.
When it comes to OSG we propably have to do this ourselves.
Quote:

Thanks,
Stuart

Cheers
Sebastian
Quote:

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=66861#66861

------------------
Chris Hanson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject:

​Stuart, I am about to build OSG with VS2015 Community. Is your build cookbook available somewhere so I'm not reinventing the wheel?

------------------
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Hi Chris,
Here's what I've got. You probably need to adjust the bat for your PATH setup. It isn't polished for general use yet so let me know if you have questions. I have only verified it with osgviewer so far: VC++ is (still!) too broken for MI + covariant returns to build my application so I have to refactor a bit before I can go further.
[The batch file is embedded in the text: most email systems block bat files.]

UPDATE: My build process has undergone further tweaks and refinements:

osgQt gets built
    Intel C++ 2016 build is working
    Fixed missing png library in freetype plugin link

The 3.4.0 binaries are up on http://objexx.com/OpenSceneGraph.html for the OSG community. I've got this fairly automated so future/additional builds should be straightforward. I'll entertain requests for additional plugins like GDAL.

Stuart

On 4/20/2016 5:23 PM, Chris Hanson wrote:

Quote:

​Stuart, I am about to build OSG with VS2015 Community. Is your build cookbook available somewhere so I'm not reinventing the wheel?

Quote:
Get registred or enter the forums!
)
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org

------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> Build system [build] All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: