OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

Trouble Drawing Text in Arabic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ehensens
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Hello!

I am having some trouble drawing text correctly in Arabic. I can get the Arabic letters themselves to show up correctly, but the letters do not connect together as they should.

I am not an Arabic speaker, but my understanding is that when letters in Arabic are adjacent to each other within a word, the letters take different shapes and connect to each other, similar to cursive English.

As a sanity check, I used the exact same TTF font and showed the same Arabic string on a 2D drawing area using Gtk. This 2D drawing area window shows the text correctly rendered with the letters connected properly.

Here is the code I am using to display the 3D Arabic text:

Code:
// Create the text drawable
osg::ref_ptr < osgText::Text > pTextDrawable = new osgText::Text;

// Set the font to use
pTextDrawable->setFont("/usr/share/fonts/truetype/scheherazade/ScheherazadeRegOT.ttf");

// Set the text to show
pTextDrawable->setText(std::string(szArabicText), osgText::String::ENCODING_UTF8);

// Set up the appearance of the text
pTextDrawable->setCharacterSize(30.0f);
pTextDrawable->setAxisAlignment(osgText::TextBase::XY_PLANE);
pTextDrawable->setPosition(osg::Vec3(640.0f, 360.0f, 0.0f));
pTextDrawable->setColor(osg::Vec4(1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f));
pTextDrawable->setMaximumWidth(1000.0f);
pTextDrawable->setLayout(osgText::Text::RIGHT_TO_LEFT);
pTextDrawable->setAlignment(osgText::TextBase::CENTER_TOP);

// Create the text geode
osg::ref_ptr<osg::Geode> pTextGeode = new osg::Geode;

// Add the text drawable to the text geode
pTextGeode->addDrawable(pTextDrawable);

// Add the text geode to the heads-up camera
pHeadsUpCamera->addChild(pTextGeode);

I am attaching both the 2D drawing area text screen capture (white text on gray background) with the text correctly rendered, as well as a screen capture of the 3D text with the individual letters drawn in the correct order but not properly connected together (white text on red background). Again, these are both using the same font (Scheherazade) and the same text string.

How can I get OSG to render these Arabic letters properly?

Thank you very much!

Cheers,
Erik
Jan Ciger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject:

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 9:35 PM, Erik Hensens < (
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
)> wrote:
Quote:
Hello!

I am having some trouble drawing text correctly in Arabic. I can get the Arabic letters themselves to show up correctly, but the letters do not connect together as they should.

I am not an Arabic speaker, but my understanding is that when letters in Arabic are adjacent to each other within a word, the letters take different shapes and connect to each other, similar to cursive English.

As a sanity check, I used the exact same TTF font and showed the same Arabic string on a 2D drawing area using Gtk. This 2D drawing area window shows the text correctly rendered with the letters connected properly.

Uff, I think you are pushing the poor old osgText far beyond its design limits. This sort of thing requires some special treatment in the code, which GTK does but osgText doesn't. osgText only takes the glyphs rendered by FreeType, one by one. So if there are alternative glyphs to use in certain situations (like ligatures) or something else, FreeType needs to handle it and I believe it doesn't currently (or at least not automatically). GTK uses Pango/Cairo combination, not raw FreeType for font rendering, I believe. 

So you could be out of luck here and may have to write your own text rendering module - e..g use Pango/Cairo to render into a texture and display it on a quad.

Regards,

J.

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Chris Hanson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Is this something osgCairo ( https://github.com/cubicool/osgcairo ) might solve for you?​

------------------
Jan Ciger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject:

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 3:35 PM, Chris Hanson < (
)> wrote:
Quote:
Is this something osgCairo ( https://github.com/cubicool/osgcairo ) might solve for you?​

Love that TODO in the README!

However, be aware that when I have played with Pango/Cairo for OSG some years ago for one of our projects, these libraries had major issues with multithreading in OSG, resulting in randomly corrupted text/textures. I haven't tried osgCairo, though, perhaps it fixes that problem.

J.

------------------
ehensens
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject:
Re: Trouble Drawing Text in Arabic

Jan Ciger wrote:
)> wrote:
Quote:

However, be aware that when I have played with Pango/Cairo for OSG some years ago for one of our projects, these libraries had major issues with multithreading in OSG, resulting in randomly corrupted text/textures. I haven't tried osgCairo, though, perhaps it fixes that problem.

J.

------------------

Thank you both very much for your responses! Also, Jan, thanks for the warning given your previous experiences with these libraries.

I will do some experimentation with both osgPango and osgCairo to see if this fixes my issues. Cool
ehensens
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject:
Re: Trouble Drawing Text in Arabic

ehensens wrote:
Jan Ciger wrote:
)> wrote:
Quote:

J.

------------------

Thank you both very much for your responses! Also, Jan, thanks for the warning given your previous experiences with these libraries.

I will do some experimentation with both osgPango and osgCairo to see if this fixes my issues. Cool

Thanks everyone for your contributions. Just wanted to update this thread; I ended up rendering the text directly to a 2D GtkDrawingArea using Pango and Cairo, creating a bitmap, and then showing the bitmap on the scene under a billboard heads up camera.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: