OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.
 
   FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

Using OSG after a very long hiatus


 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> General [forum]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
eckerbr
Newbie


Joined: 02 Feb 2017
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject:
Using OSG after a very long hiatus
Reply with quote

Hi,

I used to work with OSG back in 2004-2008 time frame. I have a need to come back to the OSG fray, but I am exceptionally rusty - I barely remember anything - and there seems to be a very distinct lack of an easy ramp-up. Maybe I'm missing it, but every time I find something that seems to be useful or the direction I need to take, all I find are dead or seemingly out of date links.

This is very frustrating. Is there an up-to-date page that I can look at to get back up to speed fairly quickly? In particular, installation instructions and a hello world tutorial would make me giddy. I'm using a Windows10 system and programming in VS2013 and/or 15

Thank you!

Cheers,
Bryan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eckerbr
Newbie


Joined: 02 Feb 2017
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject:
Using OSG after a very long hiatus
Reply with quote

Hi,

I used to work with OSG back in 2004-2008 time frame. I have a need to come back to the OSG fray, but I am exceptionally rusty - I barely remember anything - and there seems to be a very distinct lack of an easy ramp-up. Maybe I'm missing it, but every time I find something that seems to be useful or the direction I need to take, all I find are dead or seemingly out of date links.

This is very frustrating. Is there an up-to-date page that I can look at to get back up to speed fairly quickly? In particular, installation instructions and a hello world tutorial would make me giddy. I'm using a Windows10 system and programming in VS2013 and/or 15

Thank you!

Cheers,
Bryan

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=70095#70095







------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kornerr
Appreciator


Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 156

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:
Using OSG after a very long hiatus
Reply with quote

Hi.

I don't have a page for you, but OSG Beginner guide by Wang Rui is a good book for starters.



2017-02-03 4:24 GMT+07:00 Bryan Ecker < (
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
)>:
Quote:
Hi,

I used to work with OSG back in 2004-2008 time frame. I have a need to come back to the OSG fray, but I am exceptionally rusty - I barely remember anything - and there seems to be a very distinct lack of an easy ramp-up. Maybe I'm missing it, but every time I find something that seems to be useful or the direction I need to take, all I find are dead or seemingly out of date links.

This is very frustrating. Is there an up-to-date page that I can look at to get back up to speed fairly quickly? In particular, installation instructions and a hello world tutorial would make me giddy. I'm using a Windows10 system and programming in VS2013 and/or 15

Thank you!

Cheers,
Bryan

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=70095#70095





_______________________________________________
osg-users mailing list
(
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
)
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org


------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rodrigo
Newbie


Joined: 01 Mar 2017
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hi,

Book? C'mon! We're in 2017!! How do OSG intend to be a great 3D base without an up to date tutorial on-line?

I'm trying the tutorials in the wiki of openscenegraph dot org (can't upload the link before I have 2 posts...)

they're about 8~9 years old, and they're crashing most of the time (although I could run the first one twice already -- but they're fragile as glass: comment and uncomment a line and all of a sudden all you can get is "Segmentation fault". The only solution for me was to start a new project. But the first time the Release didn't run, now the Debug don't run).

This here (another one in github called osgteapot.cpp from artoolkit) looks quite new (less than a year old), but it's strange how it creates the viewer (line 342). In the other tutorial, the viewer looked like a pre-created Singleton.

My suspicion is about NVIDIA drivers, thread division of memory. Looks like I'm gonna try a different platform for 3D soon. Sad

Thank you!

Cheers,
Rodrigo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SMesserschmidt (Sebastian Messerschmidt)
Forum Moderator


Joined: 10 Sep 2013
Posts: 726

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject:
Using OSG after a very long hiatus
Reply with quote

Hi Rodrigo,

Quote:
Hi,

Book? C'mon! We're in 2017!! How do OSG intend to be a great 3D base without an up to date tutorial on-line?

The book is extremely well structured to teach you the basics and is
also available as an eBook bringing tons of code for playing around and
learning.

Also there are resources like:

https://github.com/xarray/osgRecipes

An up to date online tutorial needs someone to keep it up to date. Right
now there are a ton of examples that come with OSG. I admit it takes
time to dig through the huge stack, but in the end the cover beginners
to advanced topics. And as they are part of the distribution they are up
to date automatically.


Quote:
I'm trying the tutorials in the wiki of openscenegraph dot org (can't upload the link before I have 2 posts...)

IIRC openscenegraph.org is the old site. Use openscenegraph.com
Quote:

they're about 8~9 years old, and they're crashing most of the time (although I could run the first one twice already -- but they're fragile as glass: comment and uncomment a line and all of a sudden all you can get is "Segmentation fault". The only solution for me was to start a new project. But the first time the Release didn't run, now the Debug don't run).

This here (another one in github called osgteapot.cpp from artoolkit) looks quite new (less than a year old), but it's strange how it creates the viewer (line 342). In the other tutorial, the viewer looked like a pre-created Singleton.

My suspicion is about NVIDIA drivers, thread division of memory. Looks like I'm gonna try a different platform for 3D soon. Sad

It is impossible to say what is wrong on your end, as you didn't even
mention the platform, version etc. I've been using OSG for at least 5
years now and quite frankly found it easy to learn and understand by
looking at the examples and asking questions on the mailing list. So
maybe check if the examples run fine (In case you're building them
yourself: be sure to have the option set in the CMake configuration)

Cheers
Sebastian
Quote:

Thank you!

Cheers,
Rodrigo

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=70372#70372









------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robertosfield
OSG Project Lead


Joined: 18 Mar 2009
Posts: 10908

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject:
Using OSG after a very long hiatus
Reply with quote

HI Rodrigo,

On 1 March 2017 at 21:34, Rodrigo Dias <> wrote:
Quote:
Book? C'mon! We're in 2017!!

Have you lost the ability to read in 2017?

Book's are another resource at your disposal, they don't take away
from the rest of the resources.

Quote:
How do OSG intend to be a great 3D base without an up to date tutorial on-line?

There

Quote:

I'm trying the tutorials in the wiki of openscenegraph dot org (can't upload the link before I have 2 posts...)

they're about 8~9 years old, and they're crashing most of the time (although I could run the first one twice already -- but they're fragile as glass: comment and uncomment a line and all of a sudden all you can get is "Segmentation fault". The only solution for me was to start a new project. But the first time the Release didn't run, now the Debug don't run).

The tutorials on openscenegraph.org are not all up to date, they are
written and maintained by the community. I don't personally have
enough free time to do a blanket update of these as I have plenty of
other OSG tasks to manage, done *free* of charge.

I would encourage members of the community to help update them where
possible. If there are ones that aren't broken then specific
instructions as to which ones are problematic would be useful.

As a general note, if you are getting seg fault then perhaps the
problem is elsewhere other than the tutorial you are testing. You
don't provide any information about what platform you are using, how
you have built the OSG, how you are building the tutorials, which
tutorials are a problem and where they seg fault at this point there
is nothing we can do to advice you on how to resolve them,

Also, the OSG source code distribution itself has 184
application/examples with full source code provided, each one is built
and tested so are known to work with the latest OSG, this represent a
huge resource.

Robert.


------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robertosfield
OSG Project Lead


Joined: 18 Mar 2009
Posts: 10908

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject:
Using OSG after a very long hiatus
Reply with quote

On 2 March 2017 at 08:18, Sebastian Messerschmidt
<> wrote:
Quote:
IIRC openscenegraph.org is the old site. Use openscenegraph.com

A bit clarification, openscenegraph.org used to be the old site while
we transitioned to using Joomla on a new server, during transition the
new website was found at openscenegraph.com. Once the transition was
complete openscenegraph.org was redirected to new Joomla website.

There are still links to old server with the old wiki that can be
found when you use openscenegraph.org, these are kept around as not
all the old resources have been moved across - you can think of an
annex of library with old books kept around in case they are needed.

Robert.


------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jordi Torres
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject:
Using OSG after a very long hiatus
Reply with quote

Hi Rodrigo, 

Not sure which tutorials are you following, but if you are looking at trac.openscenegraph.org yes, they are totally out of date. Probably we should think in finally remove the trac. All the resources are now in www.openscenegraph.org. Also and a part from the books which are a great resource, ( by the way you can get an electronic copy so you can read in your screen, copy/paste etc ) I would suggest to follow Robert's advice and learn from the examples. IMO is the best/first place to look in order to understand better an OSG feature.


Cheers.   


2017-03-02 9:21 GMT+01:00 Robert Osfield < (
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
)>:
Quote:
HI Rodrigo,

On 1 March 2017 at 21:34, Rodrigo Dias < (
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
)> wrote:
Quote:
Book? C'mon! We're in 2017!!

Have you lost the ability to read in 2017?

Book's are another resource at your disposal, they don't take away
from the rest of the resources.

Quote:
How do OSG intend to be a great 3D base without an up to date tutorial on-line?

There

Quote:

I'm trying the tutorials in the wiki of openscenegraph dot org (can't upload the link before I have 2 posts...)

they're about 8~9 years old, and they're crashing most of the time (although I could run the first one twice already -- but they're fragile as glass: comment and uncomment a line and all of a sudden all you can get is "Segmentation fault". The only solution for me was to start a new project. But the first time the Release didn't run, now the Debug don't run).

The tutorials on openscenegraph.org are not all up to date, they are
written and maintained by the community.  I don't personally have
enough free time to do a blanket update of these as I have plenty of
other OSG tasks to manage, done *free* of charge.

I would encourage members of the community to help update them where
possible.  If there are ones that aren't broken then specific
instructions as to which ones are problematic would be useful.

As a general note, if you are getting seg fault then perhaps the
problem is elsewhere other than the tutorial you are testing.  You
don't provide any information about what platform you are using, how
you have built the OSG, how you are building the tutorials, which
tutorials are a problem and where they seg fault at this point there
is nothing we can do to advice you on how to resolve them,

Also, the OSG source code distribution itself has 184
application/examples with full source code provided, each one is built
and tested so are known to work with the latest OSG, this represent a
huge resource.

Robert.
_______________________________________________
osg-users mailing list
(
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
)
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org






--
Jordi Torres

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> General [forum] All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Posted
No new posts osgmovie stop playing after long time... Dan Liu General 3 Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:42 am View latest post
No new posts Aborting frames that take too long Ben Strukus General 1 Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:14 am View latest post
No new posts Height of the terrain on a given lang... nic General 10 Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:15 pm View latest post
No new posts Culling time is extremely long dongsuyang.flkl General 2 Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:07 pm View latest post
No new posts Too long to generate the DEM with osgdem ijustfu General 2 Sat May 28, 2011 12:25 am View latest post


Board Security Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Protected by Anti-Spam ACP