OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.
 
   FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

Paint splashes / How do I decal?


 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Steal
User


Joined: 26 Jan 2017
Posts: 60

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject:
Paint splashes / How do I decal?
Reply with quote

Here's Johny!

I'd like to know how to pick a 3d point in my model onto which a decal will neatly wrap itself around to. Am I using the right word here, or does Open Scene Graph not have this feature? Before I'm rigging my app with a custom decal, I'd like to know what's available, or what tools I can already work with.

Thank is great.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SMesserschmidt (Sebastian Messerschmidt)
Forum Moderator


Joined: 10 Sep 2013
Posts: 796

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:
Paint splashes / How do I decal?
Reply with quote

Hi Johny,

Quote:
Here's Johny!

I'd like to know how to pick a 3d point in my model onto which a decal will nearly wrap itself around to. Am I using the right word here, or does Open Scene Graph not have this feature? Before I'm rigging my app with a custom decal, I'd like to know what's available, or what tools I can already work with.
There is no specific API, but you can use projective texturing or
screenspace decals (using FBO and shaders).

Cheers
Sebastian
Quote:

Thank is great.

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=70417#70417









------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steal
User


Joined: 26 Jan 2017
Posts: 60

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject:
Re: Paint splashes / How do I decal?
Reply with quote

And why not a geometry approach?

SMesserschmidt wrote:
Hi Johny,

Quote:
Here's Johny!

I'd like to know how to pick a 3d point in my model onto which a decal will nearly wrap itself around to. Am I using the right word here, or does Open Scene Graph not have this feature? Before I'm rigging my app with a custom decal, I'd like to know what's available, or what tools I can already work with.
There is no specific API, but you can use projective texturing or
screenspace decals (using FBO and shaders).

Cheers
Sebastian
Quote:

Thank is great.

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=70417#70417









------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SMesserschmidt (Sebastian Messerschmidt)
Forum Moderator


Joined: 10 Sep 2013
Posts: 796

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject:
Paint splashes / How do I decal?
Reply with quote

Hi Johny
Quote:
And why not a geometry approach?
You can totally use 3d models, but that might induce z-fighting, sorting
problems etc. Another option is of course using a world-space spanning
texture per object-instance and managing drawing to this texture at the
right spots. This isn't very memory friendly however.

It seemed to me, that you have a multipass-shader implementation anyways
so using screen space decals might be the best option. (And I've got
good experiences using it)

Cheers
Sebastian
Quote:


SMesserschmidt wrote:
Quote:
Hi Johny,


Quote:
Here's Johny!

I'd like to know how to pick a 3d point in my model onto which a decal will nearly wrap itself around to. Am I using the right word here, or does Open Scene Graph not have this feature? Before I'm rigging my app with a custom decal, I'd like to know what's available, or what tools I can already work with.

There is no specific API, but you can use projective texturing or
screenspace decals (using FBO and shaders).

Cheers
Sebastian

Quote:

Thank is great.

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=70417#70417





_______________________________________________
osg-users mailing list

http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org


_______________________________________________
osg-users mailing list

http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum


------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=70419#70419









------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steal
User


Joined: 26 Jan 2017
Posts: 60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hi,

Ok wow but what does it mean?

Screen space sounds evil. I can't really get any hard results on Google for it.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Johny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SMesserschmidt (Sebastian Messerschmidt)
Forum Moderator


Joined: 10 Sep 2013
Posts: 796

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject:
Paint splashes / How do I decal?
Reply with quote

Hi,

Quote:

Ok wow but what does it mean?

Screen space sounds evil. I can't really get any hard results on Google for it.
Basically the first hit gives an implementation guideline and links to
the other techniques I've mentioned:

http://martindevans.me/game-development/2015/02/27/Drawing-Stuff-On-Other-Stuff-With-Deferred-Screenspace-Decals/

where the latter works if you have at least a depth buffer in your FBO..


Cheers
Sebastian
Quote:

Thank you!

Cheers,
Johny

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=70447#70447









------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Posted
No new posts setRunMaxFrameRate() when using Graph... Thomas_Lerman General 2 Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:38 pm View latest post
No new posts How to create a decal on a road segment? Chris 'Xenon' Hanson General 7 Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:39 pm View latest post


Board Security Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Protected by Anti-Spam ACP