OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

Near-uniform tessellation of a concave polygon for heightmaps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kanpachi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:
Near-uniform tessellation of a concave polygon for heightmaps

I am given the contour/boundary of a concave polygon which cannot have holes, and I need to apply a heightmap to it. To this end, I need to perform a near-uniform tessellation of the polygon to generate a mesh.

A picture would be worth a thousand words here, but alas, I don't have 2 posts yet. Razz

How can I perform this tessellation? Ideally, the solution could parameterize the 'resolution' of the vertices to adjust the detail of the mesh.

If this is somehow possible using OSG's built-in tessellation library that would be ideal, but I'm open to introducing an additional (hopefully lightweight) dependency if necessary.

Thanks!
Kanpachi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject:

This didn't attract much interest, but for posterity, I achieved results I am fairly happy with using the difficult-to-Google Triangle library by a fellow named Jonathan Shewchuk. I'd post a direct link but I'm still not allowed Smile
mp3butcher (Julien Valentin)
Appreciator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject:
Re: Near-uniform tessellation of a concave polygon for heightmaps

Hi
I think nobody respond because there multiple path for it
Your problem can be split in two:
1)tesselation
2)real (not screen space) displacement mapping

1)Tesselation
-osgUtil::Tesselator
-or Tesselation Shader

2)Real Displacement mapping
For this step You must be sure of your level of understanding of OpenGL(and osg) because you'll have to use transformfeedback
Todo so you'll have to draw your vertices as points, displace them according your heightmap texture (in VS) and store them is a buffer for future use (in GS)
(The Transformfeedback spec says theres no garanty to indices stay the same but in practice i never saw mess in GS ouput sequence)

Cheers

Kanpachi wrote:
I am given the contour/boundary of a concave polygon which cannot have holes, and I need to apply a heightmap to it. To this end, I need to perform a near-uniform tessellation of the polygon to generate a mesh.

A picture would be worth a thousand words here, but alas, I don't have 2 posts yet. Razz

How can I perform this tessellation? Ideally, the solution could parameterize the 'resolution' of the vertices to adjust the detail of the mesh.

If this is somehow possible using OSG's built-in tessellation library that would be ideal, but I'm open to introducing an additional (hopefully lightweight) dependency if necessary.

Thanks!

Last edited by mp3butcher (Julien Valentin) on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
mp3butcher (Julien Valentin)
Appreciator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject:
Re: Near-uniform tessellation of a concave polygon for heightmaps

mp3butcher wrote:
Hi
I think nobody respond because there multiple path for it
Your problem can be split in two:
1)tesselation
2)real (not screen space) displacement mapping

1)Tesselation
-osgUtil::Tesselator
-Tesselation Shader

2)Real Displacement mapping
For this step You must be sure of your level of understanding of OpenGL(and osg) because you'll have to use transformfeedback
Todo so you'll have to draw your vertices as points, displace them according your heightmap texture (in VS) and store them in a buffer for future use (in GS)
(The Transformfeedback spec says theres no garanty that indices remain the same but in practice i never saw mess in GS output sequence)

Cheers

Kanpachi wrote:

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: