OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

How can I increase the performance? Two different scenarios

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gambr
Appreciator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject:
How can I increase the performance? Two different scenarios

Hi All,
I have two applications where I create the same graphics in two different ways. Both have some performance issues. Please see attached images with the stats.

In the first application I create the graphics from an obj file. So the work is done by the OSG obj plugin. There are about 5 milion vertices and 10 milion primitives. I guess DL are used.
The frame rate in this case is quite low (~7 fps). GPU usage does not seem a big bottleneck (~18 ). But the graphics rotation and zoom is not smooth. Frame rate, GPU and DRAW usage remain pretty much the same afer zooming in.

In my second application I build the geometry by my own since the source file format is proprietary. I use VBO and split geometry in chunks of 29997 elements: that's why for the same graphics I have 332 geometry nodes. Moreover since the user can change the color of a single triangle I have to bind color array PER_VERTEX, and vertices are not shared between triangles. That's why the number of vertices is about 3 times the number of primitives (9.6M - 28.9M).
The frame rate is not bad (~26 fps) but GPU usage is higher wrt the first application (~33). On the contrary DRAW operations are faster.
The good point of the second application is that zooming in I get a good increasing of the frame rate (~59 fps), while GPU and DRAW decrease.

Now, the second application seems better on the everage but I would like to improve the frame rate when the whole geometry is visible on the viewer. I gave a look at LOD implementation but osgUtil::Simplifier is quite slow with a huge mesh. So is there any other way to solve this issue?

About the first application, which is way you suggest to increase the frame rate?

Thanks in advance,
Gianni
gambr
Appreciator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject:

OK, let's start from one issue (maybe I can get some answers).

I have a wavefront/obj file that loaded in my application is pretty slow.
Frame rate ~ 7
geometry # 13
Vertices # 4914461
Primitives # 9648023

The obj file is loaded by the osg_obj plugin.

What can I do to improve the performance?
First of all I thought of splitting the geometry in chunks. Is there anything useful in OSG libraries? Is there a known algorithm just for splitting the mesh?

I gave a look at MeshLab and CGAL library but I didn't find anything doing just that. MeshLab is really fast manipulating that huge mesh! in CGAL there is a mesh segmentation but it's much more then splitting and it is a quite slow process.

Cheers,
Gianni
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: