OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

osgconv "noTriStripPolygons" give tri. fans only

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KariR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Hi,

Converting an obj file to ive with osgconv gives me unexpected results with the option noTriStripPolygons in the OSG-3.4.1 release. The osgviewer stats tell me that the created model has more than four times as many vertices than the original obj file and only triangle fan primitives. One drawarray for every three vertices. In the OSG-3.0.1 build the same options gave me long drawarrays of TRIANGLES.
The options I use: osgconv -O "noRotation noTriStripPolygons noTesselateLargePolygons" myfile.obj myfile.ive

I want triangle primitives only, why do I get all too many triangle fans?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Kari
robertosfield
OSG Project Lead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject:

Hi Kari,

Without testing the data or similar first hand is not possible to give you a definitive answer to what is going on. 

Could you post a link to your data or other data that exhibits similar behaviour?

As a general comment, it sounds like the scene graph is not well balanced, it might be that the original .obj file is poorly conditioned and needs work to restructure it into a more optimal way for real-time rendering. 

At lot time has passed between 3.0.1 and 3.4.1 so to know what changes have taken place, some have certainly been made to the OBJ in that period.  Perhaps a change in default behaviour is the reason.

Robert.

On 12 September 2017 at 14:50, Kari Ringdal < (
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Converting an obj file to ive with osgconv gives me unexpected results with the option noTriStripPolygons in the OSG-3.4.1 release. The osgviewer stats tell me that the created model has more than four times as many vertices than the original obj file and only triangle fan primitives. One drawarray for every three vertices. In the OSG-3.0.1 build the same options gave me long drawarrays of TRIANGLES.
The options I use: osgconv -O "noRotation noTriStripPolygons noTesselateLargePolygons" myfile.obj myfile.ive

I want triangle primitives only, why do I get all too many triangle fans?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Kari

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=71696#71696

Get registred or enter the forums!
)
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
KariR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your answer!

I have the same problem when viewing a simple model in osgviewer. I've included screenshots of the stats with and without the noStripPolygons option. The vertex count is 3241 with no options and 18960 with the option.

I use this model:
graphics.stanford.edu/courses/cs148-10-summer/as3/code/as3/teapot.obj

My OSG-3.4.1 was built on Windows 7 x64 with Visual Studio 2010.

Kari
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: