OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

Polytopes limited to 32 planes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arennuit
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Hi all,

There seems to be a maximum of 32 osg::Plane that can be added to a osg::Polytope for intersection computations. The osg::Plane beyond 32 are not checked against.

Is there a reason for this?

Thanks,

Antoine
robertosfield
OSG Project Lead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject:

Hi Antoine,

On 20 September 2017 at 17:15, Antoine Rennuit < (
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,

There seems to be a maximum of 32 osg::Plane that can be added to a osg::Polytope for intersection computations. The osg::Plane beyond 32 are not checked against.

Is there a reason for this?

I don't recall the details, but most likely down to a uint being used as mask internally.

I'd be cautious about expanding it beyond this, checking more than 32 planes is going to be pretty expensive, if you are getting to this level of planes then I would expect that solving the task with a different appropriate would probably be appropriate.  A custom technique may be the most appropriate route.

Robert.

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
arennuit
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Hello Robert, and thanks for your clear answer.

Now for the suggestion to use a custom technique, are you thinking about using GL_SELCT with glRenderMode() and the glInitNames() / glPushName() functions? If so, do you know any example code implementing this?

Kind regards,

Antoine.
robertosfield
OSG Project Lead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject:

Hi Antoine,

On 21 September 2017 at 18:55, Antoine Rennuit < (
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
)> wrote:
Quote:
Now for the suggestion to use a custom technique, are you thinking about using GL_SELCT with glRenderMode() and the glInitNames() / glPushName() functions? If so, do you know any example code implementing this?

Using GL to do picking is possible but I generally wouldn't recommend it as it requires a round trip to the graphics hardware so you have a large overhead associated with the operation.

When I'm thinking of a custom approach I'm thinking of a user implementing something like a intersection scheme that uses a hierarchy of osg::Plane to break the volume into half spaces.  So you end up with a graph of osg::Plane rather than a single osg::Plane list like you have in a osg::Polytope.    Another approach would be to create a graph of Polytope to break up your volume.

FYI, osg::Polytope was originally written for view frustum culling and has been expanded to be used elsewhere, in your case you it sounds like you are pushing a bit beyond the tradeoff in design it's adopted - it's built around performing view frustum culling as quick as possible.

Robert.

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
arennuit
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject:

Hello Robert,

I totally get your point when you say I stretch osg::Polytope a bit too far, this is also the feeling that I had...

As for using a custom hierarchy of osg::Plane, I understand that you are talking about a layered approach for intersections. Having the scene first intersect with a rough polygon (e.g. the bounding box of the initial polygon) and then refining the polygon. Even a 2 steps approach should drastically speed-up the intersections test. That's a really good idea, thanks!

Regards,

Antoine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: