OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

Multi-threaded usage of textures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> Submission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anishuz (Anish Thomas)
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

Hi,

While modifying texture-atlases in DBPager threads we noticed an issue of thread-synchronization.

Code like the snippet below (From Texture2D.cpp):

else if (_image.valid() && getModifiedCount(contextID) != _image->getModifiedCount())
{
applyTexImage2D_subload(state,GL_TEXTURE_2D,_image.get(),
_textureWidth, _textureHeight, _internalFormat, _numMipmapLevels);

// update the modified tag to show that it is up to date.
getModifiedCount(contextID) = _image->getModifiedCount();

}

If another thread (like a DBPager thread) modifies the image of a texture (in this case a texture-atlas which gets more and more images added to it while it is also being applied on geometry), the modified count changes made by one or more dirty() calls can get missed.

If the image got dirtied before the RenderThread tried to apply this texture, code-execution enters the if() described above. If the texture upload takes too long and the image is dirtied again, the effect of the 2nd dirty can be missed when the modified count of the image is put into the texture.

A simple solution would be to use a local variable to store the image's modified-count, and apply it to the texture. The overhead of a possible redundant texture-upload on the next apply would be down-side. But texture-atlases would support multi-threaded updates better.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Anish
robertosfield
OSG Project Lead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject:

Hi Anish,

I think you are correct, the way to handle concurrrent reading/updates of an osg::Image is to take a local copy of the osg::Image::getModifedCount() prior to reading from the image and then use this value.  This would still have the danger of the image data being updated at the same time as it's being read but at least a texture update wouldn't be missed.

Robert.

On 17 October 2017 at 09:38, Anish Thomas < (
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

While modifying texture-atlases in DBPager threads we noticed an issue of thread-synchronization.

else if (_image.valid() && getModifiedCount(contextID) != _image->getModifiedCount())
{

}

If another thread (like a DBPager thread) modifies the image of a texture (in this case a texture-atlas which gets more and more images added to it while it is also being applied on geometry), the modified count changes made by one or more dirty() calls can get missed.

If the image got dirtied before the RenderThread tried to apply this texture, code-execution enters the if() described above. If the texture upload takes too long and the image is dirtied again, the effect of the 2nd dirty can be missed when the modified count of the image is put into the texture.

A simple solution would be to use a local variable to store the image's modified-count, and apply it to the texture. The overhead of a possible redundant texture-upload on the next apply would be down-side. But texture-atlases would support multi-threaded updates better.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Anish

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=72188#72188

)
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-submissions-openscenegraph.org

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
anishuz (Anish Thomas)
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject:
Re: Multi-threaded usage of textures

Hi Robert,

I can submit a fix then.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Cheers,
Anish

robertosfield wrote:
Hi Anish,

I think you are correct, the way to handle concurrrent reading/updates of an osg::Image is to take a local copy of the osg::Image::getModifedCount() prior to reading from the image and then use this value.  This would still have the danger of the image data being updated at the same time as it's being read but at least a texture update wouldn't be missed.

Robert.

On 17 October 2017 at 09:38, Anish Thomas < (
)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

{

}

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Anish

------------------
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=72188#72188

)

------------------
Eric Sokolowsky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

This could apply to a problem I have been having in my own application. Please post your fix once you have it.

On Oct 17, 2017 5:01 AM, "Anish Thomas" < (
)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi Robert,

I can submit a fix then.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Cheers,
Anish

robertosfield wrote:
Quote:
Hi Anish,

Robert.

On 17 October 2017 at 09:38, Anish Thomas < ()> wrote:

Quote:
Hi,

{

}

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Anish

------------------
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=72188#72188 (http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=72188#72188)

------------------

------------------
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=72191#72191

)

------------------
anishuz (Anish Thomas)
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject:
Fixes based on the 3.2 branch

Hi,

I've attached the original and the fixed versions of the texture-handling files based on the head of the 3.2 branch.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Anish
robertosfield
OSG Project Lead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject:

H Anish,

Thanks for the fixes, I've merged them with the OpenSceneGraph-3.2 branch and then applied similar changes to OpenSceneGraph-3.4 branch and master, I couldn't apply the changes directly to these as the code base has changed a little too much to make a direct merge easy.

Could you test out which versions you can and let me know if things are now working.

Thanks,

Robert.

On 19 October 2017 at 06:31, Anish Thomas < (
)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I've attached the original and the fixed versions of the texture-handling files based on the head of the 3.2 branch.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Anish

------------------
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=72199#72199

)

------------------
Ulrich Hertlein

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Hi Anish,

Looking at the fix I don't think this works in all cases, it only makes it less likely to
occur.

The check and the set are still done non-atomically, so another thread could be scheduled
inbetween and one update would be lost.

My preferred solution would be to use std::atomic with exchange for the modifiedCount, but
I don't know if that's available across all compilers that OSG supports. It's been in
since C++11 though so I would hope it's safe to use.

Cheers,
/ulrich

On 19/10/17 07:31, Anish Thomas wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Thank you!

Cheers,
Anish

------------------
anishuz (Anish Thomas)
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject:
Re: Multi-threaded usage of textures

Hi Ulrich,

The updating of a texture's images happen before the image's modified-count is updated by the dirtying thread. This means that even if a third thread updates the image in the mean-time, this new update doesn't get missed from being uploaded to VRAM as the texture-upload happens *after* the modified count is read into the texture from its image. Therefore the updated texture in VRAM should reflect the 2nd update as well even if the modified-count is only from the 1st update. The only drawback I see is that a redundant texture upload could occur in a future texture apply().

Of course, since textures were not meant for multi-threaded updates, the application I'm working on uses a central texture container which prevents more than one DBPager thread from updating the same texture simultaneously. The fix was only to also synchronize the RenderThread too.

Cheers,
Anish

Ulrich Hertlein wrote:
Hi Anish,

Looking at the fix I don't think this works in all cases, it only makes it less likely to
occur.

The check and the set are still done non-atomically, so another thread could be scheduled
inbetween and one update would be lost.

My preferred solution would be to use std::atomic with exchange for the modifiedCount, but
I don't know if that's available across all compilers that OSG supports. It's been in
since C++11 though so I would hope it's safe to use.

Cheers,
/ulrich

On 19/10/17 07:31, Anish Thomas wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Thank you!

Cheers,
Anish

------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> Submission All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: