OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

Help! New to OSG

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jmccart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject:
Help! New to OSG

Hi!

I'm not sure if this goes here so please let me know.

I'm having trouble making textures and animation appear in my OSG and IVE files. A client of mine is trying to use OSG to create some AR.

I've created geometry in 3ds max and output it as an obj. Now I know that animation doesn't carry over with an obj, but the texture definitely should. I'm using a 256 texture of a flat color CMYK square for testing. 3ds max spits out an MTL file which ive tried to load into my OSG conversion folder with the obj but that seems to mess the obj conversion up, so I only load in the jpeg texture.

Next I tried to use a 3ds file, but that came out terribly.

Is there any way I can animate and texture using 3ds max and export all of that and successfully convert to an osg/ive? I've tried everything, and DAE and FBX files sound promising but I can't figure out how to convert them over.

Please help!

Thanks!
Julie

Thank you!

Cheers,
Julie
SMesserschmidt (Sebastian Messerschmidt)
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject:
Help! New to OSG

Hi Julie,

can you provide a sample set for us to take a look at?

Cheers
Sebastian > Hi!
Quote:

I'm not sure if this goes here so please let me know.

I'm having trouble making textures and animation appear in my OSG and IVE files. A client of mine is trying to use OSG to create some AR.

I've created geometry in 3ds max and output it as an obj. Now I know that animation doesn't carry over with an obj, but the texture definitely should. I'm using a 256 texture of a flat color CMYK square for testing. 3ds max spits out an MTL file which ive tried to load into my OSG conversion folder with the obj but that seems to mess the obj conversion up, so I only load in the jpeg texture.

Next I tried to use a 3ds file, but that came out terribly.

Is there any way I can animate and texture using 3ds max and export all of that and successfully convert to an osg/ive? I've tried everything, and DAE and FBX files sound promising but I can't figure out how to convert them over.

Please help!

Thanks!
Julie

Thank you!

Cheers,
Julie

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=72678#72678

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Jmccart

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject:
New OSG problem....

Hello, I figured out the problem with my textures (osg is very particular and demands things to be unwrapped), but now im confused as to how to get things animated, either geo or textures, with osg.

I've tried to attach multiple files many times to messages but it only accepts on and then posts on to this board.

Can anyone point me to a very good tutorial or know specifically how to port animation (geo or textures) from 3ds max to osg?

I just want to make a propeller spin or lights flash through textures. It's frustratingly hard to pull off something that should be simple. :/
mp3butcher (Julien Valentin)
Appreciator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject:
Re: New OSG problem....

Hi
No tutorial required here I think:
AFAIK the only (working) interface between 3DS and osg is the FBXPlugin.
If 3DS features are correctly translated to osganimation you can use it as it is in osg. ex:
Code:
osganimationviewer your3DS.fbx

if there's a problem (in playing animation or or somethin) post the result of
Code:
osgconv  your3DS.fbx  your3DS.osgt

with a minimal fbx (just enough to explain the bug)

Cheers

Jmccart wrote:
Hello, I figured out the problem with my textures (osg is very particular and demands things to be unwrapped), but now im confused as to how to get things animated, either geo or textures, with osg.

I've tried to attach multiple files many times to messages but it only accepts on and then posts on to this board.

Can anyone point me to a very good tutorial or know specifically how to port animation (geo or textures) from 3ds max to osg?

I just want to make a propeller spin or lights flash through textures. It's frustratingly hard to pull off something that should be simple. :/
Jmccart

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Thanks so much for replying! I tried to animate and export a cylinder from 3ds max exported out as a 3ds file, and I can see it in my osgviewer but not the animation part.

see attached.

I'm using an osg viewer where I have to enter everything through the command prompt. could that be messing it up?
mp3butcher (Julien Valentin)
Appreciator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject:

You attachment seamed to fail.
as i say before use osganimationviewer to test animations....

Jmccart wrote:
Thanks so much for replying! I tried to animate and export a cylinder from 3ds max exported out as a 3ds file, and I can see it in my osgviewer but not the animation part.

see attached.

I'm using an osg viewer where I have to enter everything through the command prompt. could that be messing it up?
Jmccart

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject:

You'll have to excuse my confusion. OSG is very difficult for me to understand. I'm using the command prompt: "osgviewer.exe [objectname].ive "

to view my osgs on my screen. Would I type "osganimationviewer.exe" to see the animations? I've never had to use this before and would much rather use unity for AR but the company that contracted me wanted to use osg instead but they have no one who can help me understand this program so everything is very confusing for me. I've got 10 years experience in 3ds max, maya, zbrush...and this osg process makes me feel confused and dumb lol.

Can anyone just give me a step by step of what to type into the command prompt when using this version of osg that i downloaded from the website: "OpenSceneGraph-3.1.0-VS9.0.30729-x86-release-12752"

Theres no program that im opening to see the OSGs its just purely command prompt stuff.
robertosfield
OSG Project Lead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject:
Help! New to OSG

Hi Julie,

The OpenSceneGraph is middleware meant for C++ programmers for
building build graphics applications. For doing AR application it's
provides a lot of functionality that is required, but will only ever
be a component of such applications.

The applications like osgviewer and osganimationviewer just code
examples rather than fully functionality end user applications.

Quote:
From the sound of it your expertise is more in the modelling side
rather than programming so it will require a steep learning curve on
the C++ programming side as well as scene graphs, OpenGL and the
OpenSceneGraph itself.

Learning all the skills is certainly possible, but it will taken time
and patience. We can help a bit in this process, but there such a
wide range of programming skills that you'll need to develop we can
only provide help in a portion of things you'll need to learn.

It may appropriate to bring in a programmer with experience of
developing with the OSG+AR to help achieve your project goals more
rapidly.

Cheers,
Robert.

On 23 January 2018 at 18:52, Julie McCartney
<> wrote:
Quote:
You'll have to excuse my confusion. OSG is very difficult for me to understand. I'm using the command prompt: "osgviewer.exe [objectname].ive "

to view my osgs on my screen. Would I type "osganimationviewer.exe" to see the animations? I've never had to use this before and would much rather use unity for AR but the company that contracted me wanted to use osg instead but they have no one who can help me understand this program so everything is very confusing for me. I've got 10 years experience in 3ds max, maya, zbrush...and this osg process makes me feel confused and dumb lol.

Can anyone just give me a step by step of what to type into the command prompt when using this version of osg that i downloaded from the website: "OpenSceneGraph-3.1.0-VS9.0.30729-x86-release-12752"

Theres no program that im opening to see the OSGs its just purely command prompt stuff.

------------------
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=72844#72844

------------------
Jmccart

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Thank you so much for your reply! I haven't been this frustrated with software since I used the first release version of zbrush! Haha! I've told them before that OSG isn't very user (or artist should I say) friendly. I've got textures to show up and things to appear nicely which is a plus!

If I attached my toy robot file, would anyone be able to animate the back of the robots winding key to turn? That's all I need i think, just to give them SOME animation. They seem to understand the huge hurdles but want just...SOMETHING lol.

I've shown them robust unity examples and they still would rather go this route because someone somewhere picked OSG.
robertosfield
OSG Project Lead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:
Help! New to OSG

Hi Julie,

On 23 January 2018 at 20:30, Julie McCartney
<> wrote:
Quote:
Thank you so much for your reply! I haven't been this frustrated with software since I used the first release version of zbrush! Haha! I've told them before that OSG isn't very user (or artist should I say) friendly. I've got textures to show up and things to appear nicely which is a plus!

The OSG wont' be user friendly for artists because it's not a tool for
artists, it's a tool for programmers.

Using an off the shelf binary for a very old dev release of the OSG
won't provide you with the best experience. For your workflow you
really need to have a modern version of the OSG built against FBX.
For programmers this just requires one to assemble the dependencies
and build the OSG, which is a bit of leg work but all part of normal
day.

Quote:
If I attached my toy robot file, would anyone be able to animate the back of the robots winding key to turn? That's all I need i think, just to give them SOME animation. They seem to understand the huge hurdles but want just...SOMETHING lol.

No attachment came through I'm afraid. New folk on the forum need to
be approved for attaching files - this is required to stop spammers
and bad actors seeding virus etc. This does mean that moderators will
have to get round to this.

Alternatively just post a link to the file, or use the osg-users
mailing list that dual with the forum.

Quote:
I've shown them robust unity examples and they still would rather go this route because someone somewhere picked OSG.

Unit and the OSG are very different beasts, Unity is high level, OSG
is low level in comparison. The OSG has greater flexibility and power
for programmers that have skills to use it, which may be why the OSG
was chosen over Unity. However, it's for programmers, to use the
power of the OSG you'll need to use software tools to build your
applications, and may well need to build the OSG with the dependencies
that best suit the task you are tackling.

I don't personally work under Windows, so can't provide binaries for
Windows myself, and have to rely upon members of the OSG/Windows
community to do this. Perhaps they can help by pointing you are a set
of binaries of the OSG that are built against FBX and Collada.

Or just dive in and start building the OSG yourself.

Robert.

------------------
Jmccart

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Thank you so much for your reply!! It's helped me put things into perspective. I'm trying to get help from C++ developers now.

I've downloaded this fbx SDK ( https://github.com/libgdx/fbx-conv ) in hopes that I can take the fbx with animation I've made, and port it over to osg/ive format.

I have Three questions:

1) How do I install this software?
2) where and how to I use it? Command line prompt?
3) how do I make it work with my osg converter?

Thank you for all your help. Sorry if I'm asking such rudimentary queestions. No matter what i search I cannot find anythign that helps me learn how to make this stuff work!!!

Julie
Chris Hanson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject:
Help! New to OSG

You will need to (re)compile OSG incorporating the FBX SDK. Then you will be able to use the osgconv tool to convert models from FBX to osg/ive format. This recompilation is something that will need to be done by a C++ developer.

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 2:24 PM, Julie McCartney < (
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
)> wrote:
Quote:
Thank you so much for your reply!! It's helped me put things into perspective. I'm trying to get help from C++ developers now.

I've downloaded this fbx SDK ( https://github.com/libgdx/fbx-conv ) in hopes that I can take the fbx with animation I've made, and port it over to osg/ive format.

I have Three questions:

1) How do I install this software?
2) where and how to I use it? Command line prompt?
3) how do I make it work with my osg converter?

Thank you for all your help. Sorry if I'm asking such rudimentary queestions. No matter what i search I cannot find anythign that helps me learn how to make this stuff work!!!

Julie

------------------
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=72868#72868

)
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org

--
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. http://www.alphapixel.com/
Training • Consulting • Contracting
3D • Scene Graphs (Open Scene Graph/OSG) • OpenGL 2 • OpenGL 3 • OpenGL 4 • GLSL • OpenGL ES 1 • OpenGL ES 2 • OpenCL
Legal/IP • Forensics • Imaging • UAVs • GIS • GPS • osgEarth • Terrain • Telemetry • Cryptography • LIDAR • Embedded • Mobile • iPhone/iPad/iOS • Android
@alphapixel facebook.com/alphapixel (775) 623-PIXL [7495]

------------------
Jmccart

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Okay recompiling. I hav visual studio 2015. can you point me to a page or somthign that explains recompiling and how to do that? Sorry for leaning so har d on you guys but i have NO idea what most of this stuff means. I have no prior knowledge of c++.
Chris Hanson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject:
Help! New to OSG

Well, if that's the case, I'm not sure OSG is the right choice for you. It really does require knowledge and understanding of C++ compiling.

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 4:12 PM, Julie McCartney < (
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
)> wrote:
Quote:
Okay recompiling. I hav visual studio 2015. can you point me to a page or somthign that explains recompiling and how to do that? Sorry for leaning so har d on you guys but i have NO idea what most of this stuff means. I have no prior knowledge of c++.

------------------
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=72870#72870

)
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org

--
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. http://www.alphapixel.com/
Training • Consulting • Contracting
3D • Scene Graphs (Open Scene Graph/OSG) • OpenGL 2 • OpenGL 3 • OpenGL 4 • GLSL • OpenGL ES 1 • OpenGL ES 2 • OpenCL
Legal/IP • Forensics • Imaging • UAVs • GIS • GPS • osgEarth • Terrain • Telemetry • Cryptography • LIDAR • Embedded • Mobile • iPhone/iPad/iOS • Android
@alphapixel facebook.com/alphapixel (775) 623-PIXL [7495]

------------------
Jmccart

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject:

It's for a job I was tasked with. They didnt understand the scope and now theyre depending on me to come up with a solution asap. Believe me if they could or I could find another person I would but theres no turning back now. Just anything that could help, I would really appreciate. A video, a page, anything at this point. I dont want to learn this but at the moment I have no choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: