OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

Possibility to cast/convert TextureRectangle to Texture2D

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tare

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

Hi,

is there a way to cast or convert from Texture2D to TextureRectangle (or the other way round)? I don't strictly need it, but it'd help me debugging a multi pass pipeline that seems to loose information somewhere from prerender cameras to the final rendering to the frame buffer.

I have tried to just dynamically cast between the two, but the resulting pointer is a nullpointer, so that does not seem to work. Technically they aren't sub classes of each other either, but as far as i can see they don't really use different members of methods.

Just additional info, since I use them for rendering to texture I don't have an image that I could just apply to the other texture.

Kind Regards,
Tim
robertosfield
OSG Project Lead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject:

Hi Tim.

Texture2D and TextureRectangle are wrappers around two distinct types
of OpenGL textures, and at a C++ level are both subclassed from
osg::Texture, so there is no OpenGL level mapping that makes sense in
attempting to convert one to the other, and at the C++ level there
isn't any means for casting one to the other, there are different end
of storty.

I really no clue as to why you are thinking that this "cast" might be
appropriate or useful, but it's not even close to something that is
either possible or useful.

The best we can do is ask you to take a step back and tell us what the
problem you have.

Robert.

On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 at 11:39, Tim Whowantstoknow <> wrote:
Quote:

Hi,

is there a way to cast or convert from Texture2D to TextureRectangle (or the other way round)? I don't strictly need it, but it'd help me debugging a multi pass pipeline that seems to loose information somewhere from prerender cameras to the final rendering to the frame buffer.

I have tried to just dynamically cast between the two, but the resulting pointer is a nullpointer, so that does not seem to work. Technically they aren't sub classes of each other either, but as far as i can see they don't really use different members of methods.

Just additional info, since I use them for rendering to texture I don't have an image that I could just apply to the other texture.

Kind Regards,
Tim

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=74134#74134

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Tare

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject:

The problem that I have is that for the GBuffer in our deferred rendering pipeline, every texture is a Texture2D. The result of the lighting step is also a Texture2D. However, the last step, a lens simulation, is a TextureRectangle which get's positioned on the screen and then just displayed in a last step.

The output of the deferred pipeline is wrong (or non-existend), so I'm trying to debug and see, where in the pipeline the error is. For that purpose, I want to display the individual steps of the Pipeline, i.e. the textures within the GBuffer, the output of the lighting step and in the end the lens simulation. We are planning our update from very old OpenGL to OpenGL4, but until that is done I have to work with texture2D and texture2DRect as the glsl methods to access the textures. And I have to change the shader code additionally if I want to change the input texture from Texture2D to TextureRectangle, which adds a lot of time for debugging purposes. It's just inconvenient to do and therefore it'd be a whole lot easier to just change the input texture from Texture2D to TextureRectangle and display it.

I hope I could explain this sufficiently...
robertosfield
OSG Project Lead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Hi Tim,

I just don't understand why Texture2D isn't sufficient for everything
you are doing. glTextureRectangle is deprecated, it was a temporary
workaround added to OpenGL, you shouldn't need it at all now that
OpenGL fully support non power of two textures.

So please just use Texture2D all the way.

Robert.
On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 at 13:55, Tim Whowantstoknow <> wrote:
Quote:

The problem that I have is that for the GBuffer in our deferred rendering pipeline, every texture is a Texture2D. The result of the lighting step is also a Texture2D. However, the last step, a lens simulation, is a TextureRectangle which get's positioned on the screen and then just displayed in a last step.

The output of the deferred pipeline is wrong (or non-existend), so I'm trying to debug and see, where in the pipeline the error is. For that purpose, I want to display the individual steps of the Pipeline, i.e. the textures within the GBuffer, the output of the lighting step and in the end the lens simulation. We are planning our update from very old OpenGL to OpenGL4, but until that is done I have to work with texture2D and texture2DRect as the glsl methods to access the textures. And I have to change the shader code additionally if I want to change the input texture from Texture2D to TextureRectangle, which adds a lot of time for debugging purposes. It's just inconvenient to do and therefore it'd be a whole lot easier to just change the input texture from Texture2D to TextureRectangle and display it.

I hope I could explain this sufficiently...

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=74145#74145

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Tare

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I just don't understand why Texture2D isn't sufficient for everything

Yeah, neither do I Very Happy I didn't write the code, but I have to work with it. Perhaps I can convince my collegues of switching to Texture2D in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: