OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

Porting application from OSG 3.0 to OSG 3.6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel Trstenjak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject:

Hi,

I'm currently trying to get an idea what the breaking changes between
these two versions have been.

Looking at the 'NEWS.txt' I could only find one obvious one:
- removing slow path API from osg::Geometry (OSG 3.2)

Are there any other major breaking changes I should be aware of?
Thanks!

Greetings,
Daniel

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
robertosfield
OSG Project Lead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject:

Hi Daniel,

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 11:30, Daniel Trstenjak < (
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
)> wrote:

Quote:
Looking at the 'NEWS.txt' I could only find one obvious one:
- removing slow path API from osg::Geometry (OSG 3.2)

Are there any other major breaking changes I should be aware of?

There is 7 years of work between 3.0 and 3.6, too much work to recall everything in detail  - the NEWS will the enumerate the major changes, and CHANGELOG will enumerate every single commit. 

What is important totally depends upon what parts of the OSG you use.  I might be that none of the API you rely upon has changed so just a recompile will be needed, conversely you could be using deprecated features that have now been removed.  In general public interfaces are less likely to change that internal implementation details.  Also changes to public interfaces generally happen only when the old interface is causing problems/limiting usage.

There only way you can work out where you stand with your application is try a build and see what happens.  If there are errors just post what issues you are having and we can try and point your in the right direction.  If the number of issues you are seeing is too many to deal with at once try porting to 3.2, then 3.4 then to 3.6.

In the case when you remove deprecated functionality, often the new code will still work with older versions as well as the newer ones.  In cases where there is divergence in how one can support different OSG versions you can use the macros in include/osg/Version to help select the approach code path for the version of OSG you are presently compiling against.

Robert.

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: