OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

OSGPL - Legal questions on version and compatibility

View previous topic :: View next topic  
schuetze (Matthias Schütze)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Hi,

Currently, I am checking the possibilities to update my company's proprietary application from using OSG 3.0.1 to use a newer version. On GitHub, I could see that with OSG 3.4 the license document changed from OSGPLv0.0 to OSGPLv1.0. There are only minor differences and I understand that the wxWindows exception still allows dynamic and static linking, even in a proprietary application.

Nevertheless, I would like to clarify two questions, I could not answer properly by reading the license texts, various comments on LGPL versions (e.g. by the Free Software Foundation) and several hints on the OSG website.

Question 1: Why is OSGPLv1.0 based on "LGPL-2.1-only" (instead of "LGPL" as OSGPLv0.0)?

I assume that the licensee cannot change the underlying LGPL version from 2.1 to any later version (nor any former). Is this interpretation correct?

Question 2: Could the proprietary application link to both, OSG under OSGPLv1.0 and another shared library under LGPLv3?

I am concerned about combining an LGPL-2.1-only-library and an LGPLv3-library since the resulting work has to use GPLv3 (according to David A. Wheelers "FLOSS License Slide", see online). I assume that this is only the case, when combining the source codes of the libraries. When using the libraries by dynamic linking, I assume that this combination is possible without any license compatibility adaptions, provided that

• the OSGPLv1.0 license terms (source code distribution, copyright, warranty disclaimer etc.) are satisfied for OSG
  • the LGPLv3 license terms (source code distribution, copyright, warranty disclaimer etc.) are satisfied for the other shared library
  • the proprietary application can have its own license terms

Could anybody please confirm or correct my understanding of these relations? Are there any other specifics for such a combination?

Every clarification or suggestion for further reading would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Matthias
robertosfield
OSG Project Lead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject:

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 at 10:42, Matthias Schütze <> wrote:
Quote:
Currently, I am checking the possibilities to update my company's proprietary application from using OSG 3.0.1 to use a newer version. On GitHub, I could see that with OSG 3.4 the license document changed from OSGPLv0.0 to OSGPLv1.0. There are only minor differences and I understand that the wxWindows exception still allows dynamic and static linking, even in a proprietary application.

Yes, you should be able to still use OSG-3.4.x/3.6.x in your
application, statically or dynamically linking. The license change
does not change the intent of the licence.

Quote:
rsions (e.g. by the Free Software Foundation) and several hints on the OSG website.

Question 1: Why is OSGPLv1.0 based on "LGPL-2.1-only" (instead of "LGPL" as OSGPLv0.0)?

I assume that the licensee cannot change the underlying LGPL version from 2.1 to any later version (nor any former). Is this interpretation correct?

I simply updated to the modern versions of licenses.

Quote:
Question 2: Could the proprietary application link to both, OSG under OSGPLv1.0 and another shared library under LGPLv3?

I am concerned about combining an LGPL-2.1-only-library and an LGPLv3-library since the resulting work has to use GPLv3 (according to David A. Wheelers "FLOSS License Slide", see online). I assume that this is only the case, when combining the source codes of the libraries. When using the libraries by dynamic linking, I assume that this combination is possible without any license compatibility adaptions, provided that

the OSGPLv1.0 license terms (source code distribution, copyright, warranty disclaimer etc.) are satisfied for OSG

the LGPLv3 license terms (source code distribution, copyright, warranty disclaimer etc.) are satisfied for the other shared library

the proprietary application can have its own license terms

Could anybody please confirm or correct my understanding of these relations? Are there any other specifics for such a combination?

As far as I understand, you aren't mixing in OSG code with another
library with a different license, you are just linking to both so the
licenses shouldn't conflict with each other - as long as you honour
the individual licenses with how you use them in your applications.

Robert.

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
schuetze (Matthias Schütze)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject:
Re: OSGPL - Legal questions on version and compatibility

Hi,

Quote:
As far as I understand, you aren't mixing in OSG code with another
library with a different license, you are just linking to both so the
licenses shouldn't conflict with each other - as long as you honour
the individual licenses with how you use them in your applications.

Yes, my aim is only to link to the libraries. So, your clarification is exactly what I have been interested in.

Thank you very much!

Cheers,
Matthias
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: