OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

embedding the forum site

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisium (Peter Wraae Marino)
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject:
embedding the forum site

Hi,

As mentioned the osghelp.com site is now open and we redirect to this forum.

We would very much like to embed the forum into the site. Just like you can with lots of the googles websites (like calendar, docs, and so...)
Do you think we can do this with forum here too?

regards,
Peter
art (Art Tevs)
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Hi Peter.

I am pretty sure embedding could be done. I could write some script which will output this forum in embedded mode, so just not to print a lot of headers and so on, just the forum. Then you could include the fourm into your site within <iframe> tags. Its very easy.

If you have another ideas, let me know.

cheers
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject:

the iframe is ok to somethings.. but it creates verticle and horizontal scrolllers if the forum extends beyond it's bounds.

i'm not an expert but I can see that googles use the tags
<embedded> or perhaps called <embed>

these seem to handle sizing of the content very nicely.. how it works I don't know... yet

peter
art (Art Tevs)
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject:

hmm, I do not think that <embed> does work for external webpages. I think it is meant to be for some client plugins (e.g. flash).

OK, you have then to create some script on your site, which will call the forum's webpage and gather html-output. Then the headers and maybe footers will be thrown away and the rest just included directly into your page. I think this would be the best alternative, because you do not have to handle all the embedding stuff, but copy the html output directly into your webpage. Of course you either remove the headers by yourself, or just let me some time, and I will write something, so that it returns forum's content without the headers.

cheers
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Hi Art,

Have you moved forward with the embedding?
I'm actually working on the site this week, so I have some time to actually get some stuff done on it Smile

I'll be at GDC next week, so there will be a 1 weeks pause for me at that time..

good luck,
Peter
art (Art Tevs)
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Hi Peter,

Sorry, I was at a conference last week, hence haven't done anything for the embedding. Currently I am working on the user moderation as we are discussing in this thread http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?t=1896.

As soon as I have this running, I will try to manage to implement some kind of embedding functionality.

Cheers,
art
art (Art Tevs)
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Hi Peter,

ok, I have studied the problem further and it seems there is no real good solution for that. What work is to include an external webpage into an iframe without any scrolling bars. With the help of the JavaScript one could make the iframe even resize to the correct size. You can see an example what you could expect here:
http://www.tevs.eu/test.php

What you will also need is just to include the stylesheets used by the forum in your page, where you display the forum. Then it will have look and fell of the forum.

However another problem is, that every link is then linked externally. So clicking on any link in such included page, you will be forwarded to the forum's page. I think there is no other simple way to solve this with the current HTML-PHP-Technology. One could have some kind of a gateway php script which will forward all the data to the forum's webpage, if you would like even to solve the issue with external links. However I am not sure if you or me want to implement this Wink

If you can live with the presented solution, I think we can then include the forum into your website. Users then could see what is currently happening and jump to the forum on a click.

Cheers,
art
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Hi Art,

thanks for looking into it... I'm leaving to the USA in 1 day... so I won't have time to look at it right now... but in 10 days I'll take a look at it and see what can be used.

regards,
Peter

PS: I can see some header information - headers already sent when replying here... think you got a side-effect from the embedding stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> Offline All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: