OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

Setting Pivot Point and VR Juggler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bokhorst,Rene R.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Hi guys,

I tried googling for this problem but I've had no luck so far. Here's my problem.

I'm using OSG in combination with VR Juggler to project my application in a 4 surface (3 walls, 1 floor) CAVE. Problem with this set up is that my "cameras" are unreachable to me as a programmer, so to fake interaction between user and environment I don't move around my cameras, but rather the entire environment around it. So pressing 'Forward' does not move my camera's forward, but only moves the entire world backward. My cameras are fixed at 0,0,0.

I'm now trying to implement rotating as well. The easiest method I can think of is setting the Pivot point of the node that parents all other objects to my cameras position and do a rotation. The thing is, my cameras are always 0,0,0 and if I set my pivot point of the node to 0,0,0 nothing changes. In fact, it was 0,0,0 to begin with anyway. I'm guessing the node's pivot point is not expressed in it's parent's coordinate system but rather in its own? Am I correct to assume this?

How would one then go about setting the pivot point to the camera's position of 0,0,0 when both of them are expressed in different coordinate systems?

And are other people using VR Juggler as well? How did you get around the unreachable camera's problem and include interaction in your scene?

Kind regards,

Rene

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Bokhorst,Rene R.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject:

ah, disregard that, I found the solution.

Regards,

Rene

Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2008 8:54 PM
To: OpenSceneGraph Users
Subject: Setting Pivot Point and VR Juggler

Hi guys,

I tried googling for this problem but I've had no luck so far. Here's my problem.

I'm using OSG in combination with VR Juggler to project my application in a 4 surface (3 walls, 1 floor) CAVE. Problem with this set up is that my "cameras" are unreachable to me as a programmer, so to fake interaction between user and environment I don't move around my cameras, but rather the entire environment around it. So pressing 'Forward' does not move my camera's forward, but only moves the entire world backward. My cameras are fixed at 0,0,0.

I'm now trying to implement rotating as well. The easiest method I can think of is setting the Pivot point of the node that parents all other objects to my cameras position and do a rotation. The thing is, my cameras are always 0,0,0 and if I set my pivot point of the node to 0,0,0 nothing changes. In fact, it was 0,0,0 to begin with anyway. I'm guessing the node's pivot point is not expressed in it's parent's coordinate system but rather in its own? Am I correct to assume this?

How would one then go about setting the pivot point to the camera's position of 0,0,0 when both of them are expressed in different coordinate systems?

And are other people using VR Juggler as well? How did you get around the unreachable camera's problem and include interaction in your scene?

Kind regards,

Rene

Op deze e-mail zijn de volgende voorwaarden van toepassing:
http://www.fontys.nl/disclaimer
The above disclaimer applies to this e-mail message.

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: