OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

MAX to COLLADA or which format ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
√?mit Uzun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject:

Hi Folks,

I follows mail list and I know there was a discussion about converting animated MAX format to any format which osg can understand. I searched the all archive and want to ask same question again around the different content.

As I said, I have animated MAX format models and want to export another format in animation too. But after searching, I understand that I only can do this conversion in COLLADA format. Is it right ? And if right how should I achive? I found colladamax exporter http://www.feelingsoftware.com/content/view/65/79/lang,en/ There is anyone who used this exporter? I am asking because of leading me to right way.

And Does using COLLADA formatted animated model useful or not on simulation project? I have never use collada format before, so I don't know anything about the efficiency.

Any advices would be appreciated with glad.

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Kim C Bale

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject:

In my experience the feelingsoftware collada exporter gives the most reliable results when exporting models from Max. However, as far as I know there is no way of getting any animation information out of max and into the OSG.

I’ve noticed that the animation toolkit (osgATK/osgAnimation I forget the name), mentioned recently in the forum had a Blender importer/exporter that does support animation. Perhaps that is worth taking a look at.

Hope that is of help.

Kim.

Sent: 31 October 2008 10:06
To: OpenSceneGraph Users
Subject: MAX to COLLADA or which format ?

Hi Folks,

I follows mail list and I know there was a discussion about converting animated MAX format to any format which osg can understand. I searched the all archive and want to ask same question again around the different content.

As I said, I have animated MAX format models and want to export another format in animation too. But after searching, I understand that I only can do this conversion in COLLADA format. Is it right ? And if right how should I achive? I found colladamax exporter http://www.feelingsoftware.com/content/view/65/79/lang,en/ There is anyone who used this exporter? I am asking because of leading me to right way.

And Does using COLLADA formatted animated model useful or not on simulation project? I have never use collada format before, so I don't know anything about the efficiency.

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

------------------
Tomlinson, Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject:

On the animation front the Collada plug-in for OSG does not at this time support animation

As to efficiency not sure what you mean, but as a file format Collada is not about speed its about being an interchange format

Gordon<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
but is a function of how quickly and intensely one
can arouse one's instinct for survival"
- Master Tambo Tetsura

Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 6:06 AM

Hi Folks,

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

------------------
√?mit Uzun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Hi Kim,

Thanks so much for reply. I remember, you have worked on VENUS project. In this project how can you achieve fish motion modeling? Do you use only shaders to give special motion mathematics on each skeletal model or do you use sophisticated tools?

I mean, I want to model school of fish by using Reynold's Flocking Algorithms and fish motions. At this point Do I have to model each fish motion by using shaders (for example sinusoaidal travelling wave to modeling fish waving) ? Or there is another way to to it except osganimation toolkit?

Thanks for advices.

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

2008/10/31 Kim C Bale < (
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
)>
Quote:

In my experience the feelingsoftware collada exporter gives the most reliable results when exporting models from Max. However, as far as I know there is no way of getting any animation information out of max and into the OSG.

I've noticed that the animation toolkit (osgATK/osgAnimation I forget the name), mentioned recently in the forum had a Blender importer/exporter that does support animation. Perhaps that is worth taking a look at.

Hope that is of help.

Kim.

) [mailto: (
)] On Behalf Of √?mit Uzun

Hi Folks,

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

*****************************************************************************************
To view the terms under which this email is distributed, please go to http://www.hull.ac.uk/legal/email_disclaimer.html
*****************************************************************************************
)
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org

------------------
Kim C Bale

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Hi Umit,

Yes, I am employed on the VENUS project, how on earth do you know that?

I, personally haven’t worked with any flocking algorithms, it’s a feature I haven’t got round to adding yet. ¬†However, I did supervise an MSc student project on flocking using OSG. In order to simulate fish body motion he used an animated vertex shader to distort the model with a dampened sine wave (as you mentioned). With a bit of tinkering this should provide nice results with minimal effort. However, if you want more accurate movement I think it would have to be modelled, but then of course you have the problem of loading the animation into the OSG..

Hope that’s of use.

Kim.

Sent: 31 October 2008 12:02
Subject: Re: MAX to COLLADA or which format ?

Hi Kim,

Thanks so much for reply. I remember, you have worked on VENUS project. In this project how can you achieve fish motion modeling? Do you use only shaders to give special motion mathematics on each skeletal model or do you use sophisticated tools?

I mean, I want to model school of fish by using Reynold's Flocking Algorithms and fish motions. At this point Do I have to model each fish motion by using shaders (for example sinusoaidal travelling wave to modeling fish waving) ? Or there is another way to to it except osganimation toolkit?

Thanks for advices.

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun
)>

I've noticed that the animation toolkit (osgATK/osgAnimation I forget the name), mentioned recently in the forum had a Blender importer/exporter that does support animation. Perhaps that is worth taking a look at.

Hope that is of help.

Kim.

Hi Folks,

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

To view the terms under which this email is distributed, please go to http://www.hull.ac.uk/legal/email_disclaimer.html
)

------------------
√?mit Uzun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Hi Kim,

)>
Quote:

Hi Umit,

I have searched on internet and so know VENUS project and your MSc student Franclin Foping and another student Philip Apery who worked same project before. I have read these student thesis and implement in my animation. (caustics, fish motion, aquatic floara, silt on sea bed, water refraction and so on...) Now I only want to much realistic fish motion as I said. So I learned that I should try different tools like animetk or just like it.

I want to ask another question about god-rays. Did you implement god-rays to VENUS? I want to create god-rays in my simulation, so is there any advices and searh path you can give me?

Thanks for all advices Kim.

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

Quote:

I, personally haven't worked with any flocking algorithms, it's a feature I haven't got round to adding yet. However, I did supervise an MSc student project on flocking using OSG. In order to simulate fish body motion he used an animated vertex shader to distort the model with a dampened sine wave (as you mentioned). With a bit of tinkering this should provide nice results with minimal effort. However, if you want more accurate movement I think it would have to be modelled, but then of course you have the problem of loading the animation into the OSG..

Hope that's of use.

Kim.

Hi Kim,

Thanks for advices.

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun
)>

Hope that is of help.

Kim.

Hi Folks,

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

)

)

------------------
Kim C Bale

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject:

Hi Umit,

Rendering God-rays is pretty easy. The approach I used is described in the book ShaderX5, although I have to say it’s quite badly written.

Basically you model the god-rays as a grid of parallelepipeds positioned at the ocean surface, relative to the position of the camera. To create the god-ray geometry you then need to extrude the base points downward along the angle of refraction from the sea surface.

In order to compute the angle of refraction you’ll need to create a simulation of the ocean surface itself. The technique described in ShaderX5 details a Gerstner wave surface partially computed on the GPU. Using this you can interpolate between the vertex normals to get the normals you need to compute the refraction angles. Finally, you render these god-rays into a FBO and then render that texture to the screen with additive blending. A final stage which would look nice is to apply some sort of blur to the rays texture so the edges aren’t quite so crisp.

You can see the effect in the attached screenshot.

Regards,

Kim.

Sent: 31 October 2008 15:42

Hi Kim,
)>
Hi Umit,

I have searched on internet and so know VENUS project and your MSc student Franclin Foping and another student Philip Apery who worked same project before. I have read these student thesis and implement in my animation. (caustics, fish motion, aquatic floara, silt on sea bed, water refraction and so on...) Now I only want to much realistic fish motion as I said. So I learned that I should try different tools like animetk or just like it.

I want to ask another question about god-rays. Did you implement god-rays to VENUS? I want to create god-rays in my simulation, so is there any advices and searh path you can give me?

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun
Quote:

I, personally haven't worked with any flocking algorithms, it's a feature I haven't got round to adding yet. However, I did supervise an MSc student project on flocking using OSG. In order to simulate fish body motion he used an animated vertex shader to distort the model with a dampened sine wave (as you mentioned). With a bit of tinkering this should provide nice results with minimal effort. However, if you want more accurate movement I think it would have to be modelled, but then of course you have the problem of loading the animation into the OSG..

Hope that's of use.

Kim.

Hi Kim,

Thanks for advices.

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun
)>

Hope that is of help.

Kim.

Hi Folks,

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

)

)

------------------
√?mit Uzun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Hi Kim,

Thanks for detailed explanation. I grasp the method of sun-beams and I will read in ShaderX5 too. But could you clarify me at some point before I have started to search about this topic?

I will create my own water surface and waves algorithm. And then with using sun light I will calculate the reflection and refraction angles for every vertex point. Then I will use this interpolated refraction angle and vertex position I will create a grided parallelepiped volume which is going downward this point under the sea with attenuating the glowing degree. But At that point I can't understand the creation of this parallelepiped volume creation on FragmentShader. How this grid of parallelepiped volumes geometry can be interpolated ?

And I like so much your posted screen shot Smile This is I think VENUS submarine and I have some question about it. Is there all simulation environment or with pilot cabin? I can't realize joysticks, another screen which is showing above the water surface and sonar gauge are real objects or simulated environment.

Thanks for your advices Kim.
Best Regards.

2008/11/4 Kim C Bale < (
)>
Quote:

Hi Umit,

Rendering God-rays is pretty easy. The approach I used is described in the book ShaderX5, although I have to say it's quite badly written.

Basically you model the god-rays as a grid of parallelepipeds positioned at the ocean surface, relative to the position of the camera. To create the god-ray geometry you then need to extrude the base points downward along the angle of refraction from the sea surface.

In order to compute the angle of refraction you'll need to create a simulation of the ocean surface itself. The technique described in ShaderX5 details a Gerstner wave surface partially computed on the GPU. Using this you can interpolate between the vertex normals to get the normals you need to compute the refraction angles. Finally, you render these god-rays into a FBO and then render that texture to the screen with additive blending. A final stage which would look nice is to apply some sort of blur to the rays texture so the edges aren't quite so crisp.

Regards,

Kim.

Hi Kim,
)>
Hi Umit,

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun
Quote:

Hope that's of use.

Kim.

Hi Kim,

Thanks for advices.

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun
)>

Hope that is of help.

Kim.

Hi Folks,

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

)

)

)

--
√?mit Uzun,
Environmental Tectonics Corporation Turkey
ODTU Teknokent
Gumus Bloklar A Blok
Zemin Kat Bati Cephe Suit 1
06531 ODTU
Ankara, Turkey
Tel: 90 (312) 210 17 80
Fax: 90 (312) 210 17 84
E-Mail: umituzun84<at>gmail<dot>com

------------------
Kim C Bale

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject:

I'm afraid I can't recall the interpolation method used for generating the normals from the gerstner model, it is detailed in the book. I personally didn't use the gerstner approach since I had already built an FFT simulation for the wave surface and wanted to use that for the the normal computation instead.

The extrusion of the parallelpepids is done within the vertex shader, you store the length of the extrusion as a texture coordinate for each vertex. So inside the vertex shader you have something along the lines of:

newVertex = oldVertex + (gl_TexCoord[0] * refractionVector);

That way you can differentiate between vertices that lie on the water surface and those that need to extruded downward.

Finally, everything in the screen shot is simulated, no real world objects. Sorry the screenshot was deliberatly small as I didn't want to bloat peoples inboxes.

Regards,

Kim.

Sent: Tue 04/11/2008 12:35

Hi Kim,

Thanks for detailed explanation. I grasp the method of sun-beams and I will read in ShaderX5 too. But could you clarify me at some point before I have started to search about this topic?

I will create my own water surface and waves algorithm. And then with using sun light I will calculate the reflection and refraction angles for every vertex point. Then I will use this interpolated refraction angle and vertex position I will create a grided parallelepiped volume which is going downward this point under the sea with attenuating the glowing degree. But At that point I can't understand the creation of this parallelepiped volume creation on FragmentShader. How this grid of parallelepiped volumes geometry can be interpolated ?

And I like so much your posted screen shot Smile This is I think VENUS submarine and I have some question about it. Is there all simulation environment or with pilot cabin? I can't realize joysticks, another screen which is showing above the water surface and sonar gauge are real objects or simulated environment.

Best Regards.

2008/11/4 Kim C Bale <>

Hi Umit,

Rendering God-rays is pretty easy. The approach I used is described in the book ShaderX5, although I have to say it's quite badly written.

In order to compute the angle of refraction you'll need to create a simulation of the ocean surface itself. The technique described in ShaderX5 details a Gerstner wave surface partially computed on the GPU. Using this you can interpolate between the vertex normals to get the normals you need to compute the refraction angles. Finally, you render these god-rays into a FBO and then render that texture to the screen with additive blending. A final stage which would look nice is to apply some sort of blur to the rays texture so the edges aren't quite so crisp.

Regards,

Kim.

Hi Kim,

2008/10/31 Kim C Bale <>

Hi Umit,

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

Hope that's of use.

Kim.

Hi Kim,

Thanks for advices.

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

2008/10/31 Kim C Bale <>

Hope that is of help.

Kim.

Hi Folks,

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

--
√?mit Uzun,
ODTU Teknokent
Gumus Bloklar A Blok
06531 ODTU
Ankara, Turkey
Website: http://www.etc-turkey.com <http://www.etc-turkey.com/>

------------------
√?mit Uzun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Hi Kim,

Thanks for explanation. I will try to understand gerstner method. I would I achieve very soon Smile

When I search the old mail-archive I saw a question asked by you about
"Error: [Screen #0] GraphicsWindowWin32::requestWarpPointer() - Window not reali
ed; cannot warp pointer" I have same problem and there no message except this. Have you found the reason this error Kim?

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

2008/11/4 Kim C Bale < (
)>
Quote:
I'm afraid I can't recall the interpolation method used for generating the normals from the gerstner model, it is detailed in the book. I personally didn't use the gerstner approach since I had already built an FFT simulation for the wave surface and wanted to use that for the the normal computation instead.

The extrusion of the parallelpepids is done within the vertex shader, you store the length of the extrusion as a texture coordinate for each vertex. So inside the vertex shader you have something along the lines of:

That way you can differentiate between vertices that lie on the water surface and those that need to extruded downward.

Finally, everything in the screen shot is simulated, no real world objects. Sorry the screenshot was deliberatly small as I didn't want to bloat peoples inboxes.

Regards,

Kim.

) on behalf of √?mit Uzun

Hi Kim,

Best Regards.

2008/11/4 Kim C Bale < (
)>

Hi Umit,

Regards,

Kim.

Hi Kim,

)>

Hi Umit,

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

Hope that's of use.

Kim.

Hi Kim,

Thanks for advices.

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

)>

Hope that is of help.

Kim.

Hi Folks,

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

)

)

)

--
√?mit Uzun,
ODTU Teknokent
Gumus Bloklar A Blok
06531 ODTU
Ankara, Turkey

)

--
√?mit Uzun,
ODTU Teknokent
Gumus Bloklar A Blok
06531 ODTU
Ankara, Turkey

------------------
Kim C Bale

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject:

I didn’t find a solution to that. However, it doesn’t seem to cause any problems.

Kim.

Sent: 05 November 2008 15:46

Hi Kim,

Thanks for explanation. I will try to understand gerstner method. I would I achieve very soon Smile

"Error: [Screen #0] GraphicsWindowWin32::requestWarpPointer() - Window not reali
ed; cannot warp pointer" I have same problem and there no message except this. Have you found the reason this error Kim?

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun
2008/11/4 Kim C Bale < (
)>

Regards,

Kim.

Hi Kim,

Best Regards.

2008/11/4 Kim C Bale < (
)>

Hi Umit,

Regards,

Kim.

Hi Kim,

)>

Hi Umit,

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

Hope that's of use.

Kim.

Hi Kim,

Thanks for advices.

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

)>

Hope that is of help.

Kim.

Hi Folks,

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

)

)

)

--
√?mit Uzun,
ODTU Teknokent
Gumus Bloklar A Blok
06531 ODTU
Ankara, Turkey

)

--
√?mit Uzun,
ODTU Teknokent
Gumus Bloklar A Blok
06531 ODTU
Ankara, Turkey

------------------
√?mit Uzun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Hi Kim,

It doesn't damage but gives me a bit bothersome when I compile the project.

Thanks. Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

2008/11/5 Kim C Bale < (
)>
Quote:

I didn't find a solution to that. However, it doesn't seem to cause any problems.

Kim.

Sent: 05 November 2008 15:46

Hi Kim,

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun
2008/11/4 Kim C Bale < (
)>

Regards,

Kim.

Hi Kim,

Best Regards.

2008/11/4 Kim C Bale < (
)>

Hi Umit,

Regards,

Kim.

Hi Kim,

)>

Hi Umit,

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

Hope that's of use.

Kim.

Hi Kim,

Thanks for advices.

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

)>

Hope that is of help.

Kim.

Hi Folks,

Best Regards.

Umit Uzun

)

)

)

--
√?mit Uzun,
ODTU Teknokent
Gumus Bloklar A Blok
06531 ODTU
Ankara, Turkey

)

--
√?mit Uzun,
ODTU Teknokent
Gumus Bloklar A Blok
06531 ODTU
Ankara, Turkey

)

--
√?mit Uzun,
ODTU Teknokent
Gumus Bloklar A Blok
06531 ODTU
Ankara, Turkey

------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: