OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

Model Texture Compression Options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> VirtualPlanetBuilder [vpb]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColinK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Hi,

Currently we're using 3DS models (entire city's) with TGA imagery for textures. At the initial run of the database in the viewer we build ive's of all the models and associated LOD's - I'm guessing (in absence of our developers who are on holiday) that we're using OSGConv to convert the models to the ive format - my question is this:
When ive's are built for models does the input texture type determine the compression of the final ive? The reason I ask is that for convenience we'd like to move away from TGA imagery to TIFF or JPEG , but will this alter the final size of the ive's and ultimately the performance of the rendering?
I'd appreciate any input here as in the absence of the programmers I need to give an answer about this to our data suppliers ASAP.
Not to over simplify it but we've gone from dealing with 5,000 models to 150,000 models in the last 12 months in our databases and need to optimise the models as much as possible - I know that 3DS is not a particularly good format for alot of optimising techniques but we use it from a 'ability to resupply' to end users point of view. That said we also handle nearly all common formats so if anyone has an idea on a better format which I can justify the use of to the company that would be great.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Colin

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject:

On 3/9/2010 12:47 PM, Colin Knowles wrote:
Quote:
Hi,
Currently we're using 3DS models (entire city's) with TGA imagery for textures. At the initial run of the database in the viewer we build ive's of all the models and associated LOD's - I'm guessing (in absence of our developers who are on holiday) that we're using OSGConv to convert the models to the ive format - my question is this:
When ive's are built for models does the input texture type determine the compression of the final ive? The reason I ask is that for convenience we'd like to move away from TGA imagery to TIFF or JPEG , but will this alter the final size of the ive's and ultimately the performance of the rendering?
I'd appreciate any input here as in the absence of the programmers I need to give an answer about this to our data suppliers ASAP.
Not to over simplify it but we've gone from dealing with 5,000 models to 150,000 models in the last 12 months in our databases and need to optimise the models as much as possible - I know that 3DS is not a particularly good format for alot of optimising techniques but we use it from a 'ability to resupply' to end users point of view. That said we also handle nearly all common formats so if anyone has an idea on a better format which I can justify the use of to the company that would be great.

I think the compression is chosen automatically by osgconv.

There are two kind of compression you're maybe mixing up here. OSGConv can compress the
texture data using the DXT/S3TC style compression method. This reduces the texture size
both in memory (and on disk, when stored in a compatible way). The other is just on-disk
compression (JPEG/TIFF) which does not affect the in-memory storage size at all.

OSGConv's automatic compression option:
http://www.openscenegraph.org/projects/osg/wiki/Support/UserGuides/osgconv

osgconv --compressed cow.obj cow.ive

(and the other --compressed-blah options) do the former -- conversion to a compressed
texture image which is then stored as compressed data in the IVE.

Did that make sense?

--
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere Xenon AlphaPixel.com
PixelSense Landsat processing now available! http://www.alphapixel.com/demos/
"There is no Truth. There is only Perception. To Perceive is to Exist." - Xen

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Jason Daly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson wrote:
Quote:
There are two kind of compression you're maybe mixing up here. OSGConv can compress the
texture data using the DXT/S3TC style compression method. This reduces the texture size
both in memory (and on disk, when stored in a compatible way). The other is just on-disk
compression (JPEG/TIFF) which does not affect the in-memory storage size at all.

Also, when converting to .ive, the traditional compressed formats (like
.jpg) will be decoded and written in uncompressed form to the .ive file
(since this is the format that's actually used for texturing).

The advantage of the compressed texture formats (DXT/S3TC) and .dds
files is that you save space everywhere, including in the .ive file itself.

--"J"

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
ColinK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Hi,
Thanks for the info, while I've used OSGConv to create IVE version of single models in the past I could not find a batch function. Is there a batch switch built in or can I use the directory switch like VPB uses for multiple input files ?
I'm quite keen to give the DXT etc compression a go on a large model set of around 100,000 to see what the performance difference is.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Colin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> VirtualPlanetBuilder [vpb] All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: