OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

pipeline stall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> osgPPU [osgPPU]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riccardo Corsi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject:
pipeline stall

Hi Art and all,

I'm facing a strange issue when integrating a very simple PPU pipeline in my application.
The post fx does its work just fine, but then for some periods it just stops to render, it stalls for a while (frequency and length of these periods seem to be random), and then it starts working again.
Using the debug notification level, i obtain the output pasted below.

The effect I've used for this example is basically the same as the DOF example, but also with other (simpler) fx the issue is the same.

Please note that I'm not using a UnitOut as last unit, but a UnitInOut from which I retrieve the texture to apply to another object of my scene something like:
osg::Texture* pFxTex = pLastUnit->getOrCreateOutputTexture(0);
pGeometry->getOrCreateStateSet()->setTextureAttributeAndModes(0, pFxTex );

Have you got any idea what might be the cause of the issue??
I'm quite lost...
Ricky

--------------------------------------------------------------------
BEGIN FRAME
DepthBypass run in thread 00000000
         program: 02B5F850
         input:  0:00000000
DOF_Result run in thread 00000000
         vp 02C0D238 (ref 0): 0 0 1024 767
         program: 02B605F8
         input:  0:02B5A548-attr (1024x767) 1:02B6FB40-attr (512x383) 2:000000
         output:  02B762B8 (1024x767 )
         fbo: 00000000

ColorBypass run in thread 00000000
         vp 02C0D058 (ref 0): 0 0 1024 767
         program: 02B5B4A8
         input:  0:02B5A548-attr (1024x767)
ResampleLight run in thread 00000000
         vp 02C0D148 (ref 0): 0 0 512 383
         program: 02B65538
         input:  0:02B5A548-attr (1024x767)
         output:  02B6C100 (512x383 )

BlurHorizontal run in thread 00000000
         vp 02C0CFE0 (ref 0): 0 0 512 383
         program: 02B60158
         input:  0:02B6C100-attr (512x383)
         output:  02B6D580 (512x383 )

BlurVertical run in thread 00000000
         vp 02C0D1C0 (ref 0): 0 0 512 383
         program: 02B60280
         input:  0:02B6D580-attr (512x383)
         output:  02B6FB40 (512x383 )

Done DatabasePager::addLoadedDataToSceneGraph0.000766244ms,     0ms  objects0

BEGIN FRAME
BEGIN FRAME
Done DatabasePager::addLoadedDataToSceneGraph0.000383122ms,     0ms  objects0

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
art (Art Tevs)
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Hi Ricardo,

hmm, since I do not know your unit graph setup I could not give the right answer on this. Actually any stalling is not a correct behaviour and shouldn't be a consequence of wrong unit graph. Unit graphs are actually static, so if they start well, they should also work well without stalling. Only if there is dynamically any change happens, then it might create a problem.

What is your last unit, is it the DOF_Result or the BlurVertical. I assume this is the DOF_Result. Due to the order of the output, you will get one frame delay in your results.

Are you sure that your camera, which you use for the input to the Unit graph is updated every frame. Maybe just one of your cameras stalls. Is it possible, that you create a small example application showing the issue?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Art
Riccardo Corsi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject:
pipeline stall

Hi Art,

you're right about the output order of the units... I really don't know why the order is mixed...
What I'm sure about is that all the cameras which are input to the PPU are updated every frame, because for debug reasons I use their (attached) texture on another quad without pipeline, and that is draw correctly every frame.

It's a bit complicated to reproduce the issue with an example, I'll try to set it up though.

In the meantime let me just explain you how I setup the different camera, in case you notice something wrong with that.

I have a main scene and then, inside the main view, a phone model in 3D which has to show on its screen the main scene plus some additional contents.
So, without any PPU I have:

1. main viewer camera which renders main scene to the full viewport
2. phone camera (slave, RTT via FBO, shares the viewer scene data) in PRE_RENDER to render main scene from the phone point of view
3. hud camera (RTT via FBO) in PRE_RENDER to render phone additional contents
--> output texture from 2 and 3 are mixed by a simple shader and used on the phone 3D model
4. another slave camera to draw only the phone model (in its own subgraph) on the main window viewport

Now I'd like to add some post process to the camera 2. To achieve that I would:
- attach the PPU to the main scene
- set the PPU::Processor camera to the phone camera 2
- then don't know if it's better to mix the postprocess result with hud camera inside the pipeline, or mix them with the shader I'm using now. In both cases I would not use a UnitOut, but simply getOrCreateOutputTexture() from the last Unit of the pipeline.

It this a correct approach?
Thanks,
Ricky

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 15:15, Art Tevs < (
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ricardo,

hmm, since I do not know your unit graph setup I could not give the right answer on this. Actually any stalling is not a correct behaviour and shouldn't be a consequence of wrong unit graph. Unit graphs are actually static, so if they start well, they should also work well without stalling. Only if there is dynamically any change happens, then it might create a problem.

What is your last unit, is it the DOF_Result or the BlurVertical. I assume this is the DOF_Result. Due to the order of the output, you will get one frame delay in your results.

Are you sure that your camera, which you use for the input to the Unit graph is updated every frame. Maybe just one of your cameras stalls. Is it possible, that you create a small example application showing the issue?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Art

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=32392#32392

)
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org

------------------
Riccardo Corsi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject:
pipeline stall SOLVED

Hi Art and all,

just an update for sharing that I've solved my problem.
The pipeline attached to the main viewer scene was rendered by multiple cameras with different output (one to FB and the other RTT) and this was probably causing some issues.
I also changed the pipeline, but I don't think that had nothing to do.
Now I have added the pipeline to its own subgraph and it works without problems.

cheers,
Ricky

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 17:43, Riccardo Corsi < (
)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi Art,

you're right about the output order of the units... I really don't know why the order is mixed...
What I'm sure about is that all the cameras which are input to the PPU are updated every frame, because for debug reasons I use their (attached) texture on another quad without pipeline, and that is draw correctly every frame.

It's a bit complicated to reproduce the issue with an example, I'll try to set it up though.

In the meantime let me just explain you how I setup the different camera, in case you notice something wrong with that.

I have a main scene and then, inside the main view, a phone model in 3D which has to show on its screen the main scene plus some additional contents.
So, without any PPU I have:

1. main viewer camera which renders main scene to the full viewport
2. phone camera (slave, RTT via FBO, shares the viewer scene data) in PRE_RENDER to render main scene from the phone point of view
3. hud camera (RTT via FBO) in PRE_RENDER to render phone additional contents
--> output texture from 2 and 3 are mixed by a simple shader and used on the phone 3D model
4. another slave camera to draw only the phone model (in its own subgraph) on the main window viewport

Now I'd like to add some post process to the camera 2. To achieve that I would:
- attach the PPU to the main scene
- set the PPU::Processor camera to the phone camera 2
- then don't know if it's better to mix the postprocess result with hud camera inside the pipeline, or mix them with the shader I'm using now. In both cases I would not use a UnitOut, but simply getOrCreateOutputTexture() from the last Unit of the pipeline.

It this a correct approach?
Thanks,
Ricky

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 15:15, Art Tevs < (
)> wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ricardo,

Thank you!

Cheers,
Art

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=32392#32392

)
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org

------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> osgPPU [osgPPU] All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: