OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.
 
   FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

VPB vs osgEarth...

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> VirtualPlanetBuilder [vpb]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
S2LR
Appreciator


Joined: 13 Nov 2010
Posts: 208

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject:
VPB vs osgEarth...
Reply with quote

All,

Up to this point, we've used VPB for building our databases that our OSG app uses. However, I've contemplated taking a look at osgEarth for future consideration.

My question is, is what advantages are there for using osgEarth vs. VPB?

I understand that source content (DTED, GeoTiff, etc.) is loaded "on the fly" in osgEarth but doesn't that hurt performance when compared to a statically built database done with VPB?

Thanks for any input in advance...
-Shayne

...


Thank you!

Cheers,
Shayne
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robertosfield
OSG Project Lead


Joined: 18 Mar 2009
Posts: 12144

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject:
VPB vs osgEarth...
Reply with quote

Hi Shayne,

Simple put is VPB for best performance and lowest latency, osgEarth
for maximum runtime flexibility. Broadly speaking a flight sim would
need to use VPB, while a GIS app will find osgEarth more appropriate.

You can actually mix and match the two as osgEarth has plugin for
reading VPB generated databases.

Robert.


On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 7:59 PM, Shayne Tueller
<> wrote:
Quote:
All,

Up to this point, we've used VPB for building our databases that our OSG app uses. However, I've contemplated taking a look at osgEarth for future consideration.

My question is, is what advantages are there for using osgEarth vs. VPB?

I understand that source content (DTED, GeoTiff, etc.) is loaded "on the fly" in osgEarth but doesn't that hurt performance when compared to a statically built database done with VPB?

Thanks for any input in advance...
-Shayne

...


Thank you!

Cheers,
Shayne

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=35137#35137









------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Glenn Waldron
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject:
VPB vs osgEarth...
Reply with quote

Shayne,

Whether you get a palpable performance hit depends on a lot of factors. One of osgEarth's features is the ability to pull data from web mapping services (similar to Googe Maps). That type of data is pre-tiled into raster pyramids - which is what VPB does too. So if your source data is similarly prepared, you can achieve loading speeds comparable to a pre-generated terrain model. osgEarth includes tools for that.


osgEarth's caching stores multi-resolution pyramids of source data, so if you have to ingest "expensive" data it will only be a performance hit the first time through. If you're loading flat files - GeoTIFFs, DEMs, etc - then there is some processing overhead in pulling in the data, especially if it needs reprojecting. But otherwise, you might be surprised at how fast is actually is.


It is worth mentioning that osgEarth is not just a terrain engine, but a whole toolkit. It includes an API for coordinate conversion, support for vector features, utilities for clamping, a programmable manipulator, plugins for lots of web- and file-based data sources, and shader composition support.


Glenn Waldron : Pelican Mapping


On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Shayne Tueller < (
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
)> wrote:
Quote:
All,

Up to this point, we've used VPB for building our databases that our OSG app uses. However, I've contemplated taking a look at osgEarth for future consideration.

My question is, is what advantages are there for using osgEarth vs. VPB?

I understand that source content (DTED, GeoTiff, etc.) is loaded "on the fly" in osgEarth but doesn't that hurt performance when compared to a statically built database done with VPB?

Thanks for any input in advance...
-Shayne

...


Thank you!

Cheers,
Shayne

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=35137#35137





_______________________________________________
osg-users mailing list
(
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
)
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org


------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Back to top
S2LR
Appreciator


Joined: 13 Nov 2010
Posts: 208

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject:
VPB vs osgEarth...
Reply with quote

Glenn and Robert,

Thanks much for the input. I'll try out osgEarth to see how it works in a
small app I have...

Thanks again,
-Shayne

-----Original Message-----
From:
[mailto:] On Behalf Of Glenn
Waldron
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2010 3:22 PM
To:
Subject: Re: [vpb] VPB vs osgEarth...

Shayne,

Whether you get a palpable performance hit depends on a lot of factors. One
of osgEarth's features is the ability to pull data from web mapping services
(similar to Googe Maps). That type of data is pre-tiled into raster pyramids
- which is what VPB does too. So if your source data is similarly prepared,
you can achieve loading speeds comparable to a pre-generated terrain model.
osgEarth includes tools for that.

osgEarth's caching stores multi-resolution pyramids of source data, so if
you have to ingest "expensive" data it will only be a performance hit the
first time through. If you're loading flat files - GeoTIFFs, DEMs, etc -
then there is some processing overhead in pulling in the data, especially if
it needs reprojecting. But otherwise, you might be surprised at how fast is
actually is.

It is worth mentioning that osgEarth is not just a terrain engine, but a
whole toolkit. It includes an API for coordinate conversion, support for
vector features, utilities for clamping, a programmable manipulator, plugins
for lots of web- and file-based data sources, and shader composition
support.

Glenn Waldron : Pelican Mapping


On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Shayne Tueller <>
wrote:


All,

Up to this point, we've used VPB for building our databases that our
OSG app uses. However, I've contemplated taking a look at osgEarth for
future consideration.

My question is, is what advantages are there for using osgEarth vs.
VPB?

I understand that source content (DTED, GeoTiff, etc.) is loaded "on
the fly" in osgEarth but doesn't that hurt performance when compared to a
statically built database done with VPB?

Thanks for any input in advance...
-Shayne

...


Thank you!

Cheers,
Shayne

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=35137#35137












------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J.P. Delport
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject:
VPB vs osgEarth...
Reply with quote

Hi,

On 27/12/10 20:37, Tueller, Shayne R Civ USAF AFMC 519 SMXS/MXDEC wrote:
Quote:
Glenn and Robert,

Thanks much for the input. I'll try out osgEarth to see how it works in a
small app I have...

I've found osgearth_cache useful to pre-build pyramids.

rgds
jp

Quote:

Thanks again,
-Shayne

-----Original Message-----
From:
[mailto:] On Behalf Of Glenn
Waldron
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2010 3:22 PM
To:
Subject: Re: [vpb] VPB vs osgEarth...

Shayne,

Whether you get a palpable performance hit depends on a lot of factors. One
of osgEarth's features is the ability to pull data from web mapping services
(similar to Googe Maps). That type of data is pre-tiled into raster pyramids
- which is what VPB does too. So if your source data is similarly prepared,
you can achieve loading speeds comparable to a pre-generated terrain model.
osgEarth includes tools for that.

osgEarth's caching stores multi-resolution pyramids of source data, so if
you have to ingest "expensive" data it will only be a performance hit the
first time through. If you're loading flat files - GeoTIFFs, DEMs, etc -
then there is some processing overhead in pulling in the data, especially if
it needs reprojecting. But otherwise, you might be surprised at how fast is
actually is.

It is worth mentioning that osgEarth is not just a terrain engine, but a
whole toolkit. It includes an API for coordinate conversion, support for
vector features, utilities for clamping, a programmable manipulator, plugins
for lots of web- and file-based data sources, and shader composition
support.

Glenn Waldron : Pelican Mapping


On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Shayne Tueller<>
wrote:


All,

Up to this point, we've used VPB for building our databases that our
OSG app uses. However, I've contemplated taking a look at osgEarth for
future consideration.

My question is, is what advantages are there for using osgEarth vs.
VPB?

I understand that source content (DTED, GeoTiff, etc.) is loaded "on
the fly" in osgEarth but doesn't that hurt performance when compared to a
statically built database done with VPB?

Thanks for any input in advance...
-Shayne

...


Thank you!

Cheers,
Shayne

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=35137#35137














--
This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard.
The full disclaimer details can be found at http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html.

This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner,
and is believed to be clean. MailScanner thanks Transtec Computers for their support.



------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Back to top
mogu (Morten Hauknes)
Newbie


Joined: 03 Aug 2010
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject:
comparing ...
Reply with quote

Hi,

I hope it is ok that i hijack this thread since I'm i similar situation.
We are using VPB, but are considering using osgEarth for displaying GIS map + radar display on top of that.
The test with osgEarth worked well using imagery from natural earth, some shape vector data from an old ESRI map database, and some elevation data(DTED1).
The most cumbersome process i found using osgEarth, is that you need to define all source data and how they should be presented using a big xml confugration file (.earth).

So my question is: Is anyone aware of some kind of comparison(forum, document, web adress) between the different products that use OSG to show GIS data?

Some of the products I have found is osgEarth + VTP, Virtual Terrain Project, ossimPlanet, gvSIG + osgVirtualPlanets, and I'm sure there exist more. One somewhat useful comparison was found here http://sourcepole.ch/assets/2010/9/10/foss4g2010_virtual_globes.pdf

Some of these products seem easier to use to produce a GIS map database with presentation.

So anyone have any experience with these? Or must i dig into everyone and test them myself? Smile

Thank you!

Cheers,
Morten
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nlneilson
User


Joined: 30 Jan 2011
Posts: 33

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hi,

mogu wrote:
Some of the products I have found is osgEarth + VTP, Virtual Terrain Project, ossimPlanet, gvSIG + osgVirtualPlanets, ...

I just got into OSG to show GIS data.

osgEarth + VPB (ogsdem.exe)
Could be good. The last upate for the VPB was about 19 months ago.
The compiled download of osgEarth had OSG 2.4, I updated that to 2.9.8.
I tried to find the format of the cache without luck, still have info to read, I have ~12 GB of data.
Apparently a compiled osgdem.exe can be obtained for $$.
Otherwise it needs to be included/compiled with the OSG build.

ossimPlanet I installed that but each time it opened get this error and the app closes:
"ossimplanet.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

gvSIG 290 MB download for the installer. There is another download that has the source
but I could not find a source only download.
GeoDataBase connection: username, password
It includes GPS
I remember trying this before and dumped it.

osgVirtualPlanets (osgvp) Considerable amount of Java JNI code

I have been using NASA WorldWind Java (and before with C#)
I should be able to get some concept from there into C++ to help other also.
Would like to try C++ rendering rather than Java JNI jogl.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Neil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robertosfield
OSG Project Lead


Joined: 18 Mar 2009
Posts: 12144

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject:
VPB vs osgEarth...
Reply with quote

Hi Neil,

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Neil Neilson <> wrote:
Quote:
osgEarth + VPB (ogsdem.exe)
Could be good.  The last upate for the VPB was about 19 months ago.
The compiled download of osgEarth had OSG 2.4, I updated that to 2.9.8.
I tried to find the format of the cache without luck, still have info to read, I have ~12 GB of data.
 Apparently a compiled osgdem.exe can be obtained for $$.
Otherwise it needs to be included/compiled with the OSG build.

I haven't made a point release of VPB for a while but it's been under
development with plenty of updates since the last dev release. For
the most up to date it's best to use VPB svn/trunk along with OSG
svn/trunk.

I will be making an OSG-3.0 release candidate 1 very soon, and will
also tag another dev release of VPB at this point with the intention
of making VPB-1.0 once OSG-3.0 is out the door.

As for obtaining osgdem.exe for money, not sure who's selling it, but
since you can easily build the OSG and VPB yourself using free tools I
would have though it'd be just to do this. It's a hurdle to jump but
once you've jumped it once it's easy to keep up to date with the
latest and greatest.

Robert.


------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nlneilson
User


Joined: 30 Jan 2011
Posts: 33

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hi Robert

Thanks for the information.

Good news on the OSG 3.0 coming soon.

"...you can easily build the OSG and VPB yourself using free tools I
would have though it'd be just to do this. It's a hurdle to jump..."

"It's a hurdle to jump..." is an understatement for me, I had not done that
for years, had to download TortoiseSVN, Cmake and VC++ again.
I have a tendency to jump in then go back and find my mistakes.
No problem with MinGW except new to EclipseCDT, Eclipse is great for Java.
Apparently mixing MinGW and MSC10 compiles is problematic also.
Maybe later I can help with the initial setup tutorials.

What I mentioned about the cache structure:
C:\NLN\NLNwwData\Earth\NASA\Marble\2\10\10_7.dds
I don't know if OSG/osgEarth can read this, it's pretty much standard
except GoogleEarth's upper/lower left shift.

I have tiled the U.S. FAA charts and served them for a few years at no charge
and no problems reported, they should work in OSG/osgEarth.
http://www.nlneilson.com/sectionals.html

The OSG project seems great, I am impressed.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Neil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nlneilson
User


Joined: 30 Jan 2011
Posts: 33

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject:
Re: VPB vs osgEarth...
Reply with quote

Hi Robert

robertosfield wrote:
As for obtaining osgdem.exe for money, not sure who's selling it, ...

http://www.alphapixel.com/osg/
Click here to buy a VPB download subscription through 2Checkout.com.

Thanks
Neil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jordi Torres
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject:
VPB vs osgEarth...
Reply with quote

Hi Neil,

Quote:
gvSIG  290 MB download for the installer.  There is another download that has the source
but I could not find a source only download.
osgVirtualPlanets (osgvp) Considerable amount of Java JNI code


gvSIG 3D installer is 16.6 Mb for linux and 21.2Mb for windows plus gvSIG installer (91 MB for linux and 88 Mb for windows). You can access the code and the instaler in the osor forge[1]. In the same forge you can dowload osgVirtualPlanets[2], the core libraries included in the installer of gvSIG 3D.



Quote:
I have been using NASA WorldWind Java (and before with C#)
I should be able to get some concept from there into C++ to help other also.
Would like to try C++ rendering rather than Java JNI jogl.


W.r.t osgVirtualPlanets we had to offer an API in java, because we use gvSIG as a data source, and gvSIG is in Java. But we did it too Java oriented, so next versions of osgVP will work in C++ and it will implement minimal wrappers to work in Java.

If you want a GIS environment to develop in, and you want to do it in C++,  you could try QuantumGis(QGIS) + osgEarth. There is a development branch, and seems to be active.

Cheers.

[1]http://forge.osor.eu/projects/gvsig-3d
[2]http://forge.osor.eu/projects/osgvp

 
Quote:
------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=36365#36365





_______________________________________________
osg-users mailing list
(
Only registered users can see emails on this board!
Get registred or enter the forums!
)
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/listinfo.cgi/osg-users-openscenegraph.org



--
Jordi Torres Fabra

gvSIG 3D blog
http://gvsig3d.blogspot.com
Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial
http://www.ai2.upv.es

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Back to top
S2LR
Appreciator


Joined: 13 Nov 2010
Posts: 208

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject:
VPB vs osgEarth...
Reply with quote

I suppose if you're "unable" to build from source, this would be a viable
option. However, I would rather download the source and build OSG and VPB
myself if I have the means and tools to do so.

Building both from source is trivial and there are ample instructions for
accomplishing the task..

Just my .02...

-Shayne

-----Original Message-----
From:
[mailto:] On Behalf Of Neil Neilson
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2011 8:15 AM
To:
Subject: Re: [vpb] VPB vs osgEarth...

Hi Robert


robertosfield wrote:
Quote:
As for obtaining osgdem.exe for money, not sure who's selling it, ...

http://www.alphapixel.com/osg/
Click here to buy a VPB download subscription through 2Checkout.com.

Thanks
Neil

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=36372#36372









------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject:
VPB vs osgEarth...
Reply with quote

On 2/4/2011 6:45 AM, Robert Osfield wrote:
Quote:
As for obtaining osgdem.exe for money, not sure who's selling it, but
since you can easily build the OSG and VPB yourself using free tools I
would have though it'd be just to do this. It's a hurdle to jump but
once you've jumped it once it's easy to keep up to date with the
latest and greatest.

At one time I was offering a subscription program to my build system where non-developer
people or those who don't want to sort out the dependencies could download from my build
system for a monthly fee. That might be what he's referring to?

Quote:
Robert.

--
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. http://www.alphapixel.com/
Digital Imaging. OpenGL. Scene Graphs. GIS. GPS. Training. Consulting. Contracting.
"There is no Truth. There is only Perception. To Perceive is to Exist." - Xen


------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Back to top
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject:
VPB vs osgEarth...
Reply with quote

On 2/4/2011 8:14 AM, Neil Neilson wrote:
Quote:
robertosfield wrote:
Quote:
As for obtaining osgdem.exe for money, not sure who's selling it, ...
http://www.alphapixel.com/osg/
Click here to buy a VPB download subscription through 2Checkout.com.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to.

Quote:
Thanks
Neil


--
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. http://www.alphapixel.com/
Digital Imaging. OpenGL. Scene Graphs. GIS. GPS. Training. Consulting. Contracting.
"There is no Truth. There is only Perception. To Perceive is to Exist." - Xen


------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Back to top
nlneilson
User


Joined: 30 Jan 2011
Posts: 33

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hi Jordi

gvsig-oade-2010-1.0.0-windows-installer 272 MB (286,228,943 bytes)
http://oadigital.net/software/gvsigoade/gvsigdownload
That seemed a bit high, thanks for the links.

I will take a look at QuantumGis(QGIS) + osgEarth.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Neil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> VirtualPlanetBuilder [vpb] All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum Replies Posted
No new posts osgEarth Android (and iOS) Chris Hanson General 0 Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:08 pm View latest post
No new posts Having issue with osgText rendering o... pixelord General 0 Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:16 am View latest post
No new posts Qt OsgEarth HudCamera Composition aozdin General 0 Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:34 am View latest post
No new posts osg::Geode is not seen when added as ... aozdin General 2 Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:42 pm View latest post
No new posts How to open shape file (.shp) or open... GISDeveloper General 0 Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:30 pm View latest post


Board Security Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Protected by Anti-Spam ACP