OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

VPB build error?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> VirtualPlanetBuilder [vpb]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S2LR
Appreciator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject:
VPB build error?

All,

When attempting to build a database using VPB, I'm seeing the following error...

Now checking for plug-in osgPlugins-2.9.11/osgdb_nvtt.so
osg::Registry::addImageProcessor(ImageProcessor)
Loaded plug-in osgPlugins-2.9.11/osgdg_nvtt.so and located ImageProcessor
ERROR 1: TIFFOpen:/imagery/w_z14.tif: too many open files

After this happens, vpbmaster then bails out without completion.

Has anyone else seen this error? Is there a limitation with the number of files that VPB or the tiff reader can deal with? I don't see this problem when the number of tif files in a given directory is small...

Thanks for any input in advance...

-Shayne
S2LR
Appreciator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject:

Just a follow up to my previous post, I found the problem...and it has nothing to do with VPB so I apologize for the alarm.

On Linux (in my case Fedora core 13), the number of files a process can have open is default to 1024. You can query this info by the command:

ulimit -n

To increase the number of files (by 4000 for example), you can do:

ulimit -n 4000

Once I did this, vpbmaster was able to process all 3600 tif files in my /imagery directory where they are stored.

Hopefully this will be of benefit to anyone else who may run into this problem when trying to build a VPB database from a large number of source content files...

-Shayne
robertosfield
OSG Project Lead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject:
VPB build error?

Hi Shayne,

I vaguely VPB having inbuilt support for keeping a lid on the number
of open file handles. I don't recall the specifics though, it's a
couple of years since I wrote this part of VPB, perhaps we need to
update the mechanism to query how many open files are supported and
adjust it so it's osgdem task has a portion of this total so that when
multiple osgdem's run they don't end up eating up all the file handles
between them.

Robert.

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Shayne Tueller
<> wrote:
Quote:
Just a follow up to my previous post, I found the problem...and it has nothing to do with VPB so I apologize for the alarm.

On Linux (in my case Fedora core 13), the number of files a process can have open is default to 1024. You can query this info by the command:

ulimit -n

To increase the number of files (by 4000 for example), you can do:

ulimit -n 4000

Once I did this, vpbmaster was able to process all 3600 tif files in my /imagery directory where they are stored.

Hopefully this will be of benefit to anyone else who may run into this problem when trying to build a VPB database from a large number of source content files...

-Shayne

------------------
Read this topic online here:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?p=36011#36011

------------------
Post generated by Mail2Forum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> VirtualPlanetBuilder [vpb] All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: