OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index OpenSceneGraph Forum
Official forum which mirrors the existent OSG mailing lists. Messages posted here are forwarded to the mailing list and vice versa.

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    RulesRules    UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 Mail2Forum SettingsMail2Forum Settings  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
   AlbumAlbum  OpenSceneGraph IRC ChatOpenSceneGraph IRC Chat   SmartFeedSmartFeed 

FIX: osgPPU rendering not working in the first frame

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> osgPPU [osgPPU]
View previous topic :: View next topic  
airion
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject:
FIX: osgPPU rendering not working in the first frame

Hi,

the last days I was fighting the problem, that osgPPU rendering was not working in the first frame. Normally, this is rarely noticeable, but I use it for generating a texture, that does not change anymore - so I use osgPPU with a single shot rendering and if the rendering is faulty, the error remains visible for all the time.

I tracked the problem down to reside in UnitInOut::noticeBeginRendering(). There "mFBO->apply(*info.getState());" causes the units output texture to be generated in the first frame. This causes a glBindTexture() which brakes the binding of the already bound input texture, so that rendering can not work in this frame.

Please find attached fix, that restores the texture binding after applying the FBO.

Regards,
--Alex
art (Art Tevs)
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject:
Re: FIX: osgPPU rendering not working in the first frame

Hi Alex,

hmm, ok, it seems to be a solution, however I am not sure if this is a general one. I mean, what if for example the input texture is not 2D and the output texture is also not 2D. Then fbo will still overwrite current binding.

I would propose to try following solution:

glPushAttrib(GL_TEXTURE_BIT);
mFBO->apply(*info.getState());
glPopAttrib();

Alex, could you please try if this works for you? Based on the specifications of glPushAttrib this should store current texture bindings

cheers,
art

airion wrote:
Hi,

the last days I was fighting the problem, that osgPPU rendering was not working in the first frame. Normally, this is rarely noticeable, but I use it for generating a texture, that does not change anymore - so I use osgPPU with a single shot rendering and if the rendering is faulty, the error remains visible for all the time.

I tracked the problem down to reside in UnitInOut::noticeBeginRendering(). There "mFBO->apply(*info.getState());" causes the units output texture to be generated in the first frame. This causes a glBindTexture() which brakes the binding of the already bound input texture, so that rendering can not work in this frame.

Please find attached fix, that restores the texture binding after applying the FBO.

Regards,
--Alex
airion
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject:

Hello Art,

glPushAttrib / glPopAttrib works as well, but it's not available in GLES and I also use osgPPU with GLES. However in GLES there are no 3D textures, only 2D and cube maps.

Regards,
--Alex
art (Art Tevs)
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Hi Alex,

ok, this is of course pretty bad.

Actually, I think the correct way would be to apply the texture to the osg::State within the FBO::apply(). This would ensure that the state is tracked correctly. Of course, unfortunately this requires a patch to the main osg core.

In general, I think this might be a general osg problem, since in order to generate texture within FBO::apply() one need to make sure that current texture binding is not overwritten. I think, I will try to rewrite your patch here slightly to ensure correct work of osgPPU, but we should keep in mind, that we might need a patch for OSG as well.

Cheers,
art

airion wrote:
Hello Art,

glPushAttrib / glPopAttrib works as well, but it's not available in GLES and I also use osgPPU with GLES. However in GLES there are no 3D textures, only 2D and cube maps.

Regards,
--Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OpenSceneGraph Forum Forum Index -> osgPPU [osgPPU] All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: